Ship/Air Interface Safety Engineer
Irving Shipbuilding in Halifax, NS
SHIP/AIR INTERFACE SAFETY ENGINEER
Irving Shipbuilding Inc., located at 3099 Barrington Street Halifax NS B3K 5M7, is part of the J.D. Irving Group of companies and is in the business of building quality ships and repairing vessels. The company's primary site is Halifax Shipyard, with three other locations in the Maritime Provinces. Irving Shipbuilding is currently working on a number of significant projects for the Department of National Defence.
The Ship/Air Interface Safety Engineer will fulfill a key role in the Canadian Surface Combatant (CSC) Technical Cross Product Team. This position will report to the Engineering Manager - Safety and Certification, and will be required to support the development and implementation of the Aviation Safety Program, working collaboratively with a variety of internal and external stakeholders, including Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) and Regulators.
Areas of knowledge and experience are required in, but not limited to:
- Aviation Facilities
- Ship/Air Interface
- Release To Service
- System Hazard Identification and Safety Control Development
- Safety Case development
- Safety Verification & Validation techniques
- Safety at sea (Preparation for Sea Trials)
- Develop the Aviation Safety Program in accordance with Regulatory and Statutory requirements, and DND/RCAF Policy.
- Ensure that physical and functional interfaces of all systems are identified, defined and approved via Interface Control Documents.
- Provide Safety Engineering expertise to the development, documentation, and evaluation of deliverables related to the requirements definition, design, integration, and test of all shipborne facilities related to aviation operations.
- Provide Safety Engineering support in evaluating Engineering Change to ensure that impacts, risks and issues related to design, integration, test, and acceptance activities are identified, communicated and recorded.
- Develop the Safety Case for their technical area, in accordance with identified standards and the Safety and Environmental Management System.
- Develop subcontractor safety and environmental requirements.
- Technical input to applicable Working Groups, including the Safety and Environmental, and Hazard Identification Working Groups.
- Conduct Hazard Identification, Analysis and Risk Assessment.
- Promote positive Safety and Environmental Culture within the Project.
- Support a culture of collaboration, enthusiasm and a proactive nature within the Project.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Be a role model for professional behavior.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Education in an Engineering discipline.
- Development of Safety and Environmental Cases and Safety Case Reports
- Experience in ship construction
- A minimum of three years' experience in the following fields:
- Engineering in large and complex defense acquisition projects involving coordination between multiple organizations
- Design, integration, installation and test of Aviation Facilities
- Establishing and maintaining positive relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including customers
- Excellent time management, and written and oral communication skills
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
What We Offer:
- Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary commensurate with the experience of the Candidate and benefits package including but not limited to medical, dental and vision.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here .
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.