Project Accountant Vancouver, BC 04/06/2019
WSP in Vancouver, BC
WSP is one of the world's leading professional services firms. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
We have over 48,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 8,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're among the LinkedIn Top 25 Companies two years in a row, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects .
At WSP :
- We value our people and our reputation
- We are locally dedicated with international scale
- We are future focused and challenge the status quo
- We foster collaboration in everything we do
- We have an empowering culture and hold ourselves accountable
The Project Accountant ("PA") provides support to Project Managers and is responsible for maintaining a portfolio of projects through the project life cycle supporting our Environment team. The role of the PA is to provide knowledge and understanding of contracts and agreements to ensure accurate, timely and complete information for all project accounting activities from project set-up, cost recording, revenue recognition, project forecasting and project closure while leveraging the project management system to its fullest extent. Other requirements of the role include ensuring projects are properly setup to accurately reflect the contractual terms and as sold margins, participate in month end reviews, coordinate revenue adjustments as required and provide analysis on variances to Project Managers and the National Business Line Controllers
- Provide support and oversight on a portfolio of projects with multiple PMs across business units.
- Lead the financial review for projects to ensure compliance with accounting standards and corporate policies.
- Provide expertise to PM's through the financial lifecycle of a project, from setup, monitoring, updating and closure:
- Ensure project set-up accurately mirrors the as-sold price, cost and margin of the contract, and that addendums/change orders and PO's support the contract value loaded in the system
- Challenge WBS Structure at creation towards optimizing project structures and minimizing complexity for efficient delivery and execution throughout the life of the project
- Open, create and maintain projects WBS structure, revenue and cost budgets
- Ensure timely recording of all cost and revenue transactions.
- Assist PM's in the PSR and management project review process, including the validation of ETCs and EACs, and ensure any financial issues related to earnings, cash-flow, and reporting are addressed.
- Attend meetings with Project Delivery Team on the financial status of projects.
- Perform Time and Expense Transfers as needed, when not related to Billings
- Transact project write-ups and write-downs
- Perform and support project related internal control procedures
- Perform project closeout processes
- Train and educate project delivery team on major KPI of a project and use of financial project analysis tools, dashboards, Vision, etc.
- Possess strong understanding of the company's revenue and costing methodologies and provide expertise to the Project Delivery Team.
- Understand commercial, billing and payment terms on the project and act as a liaison with the Billing team to ensure invoices are prepared and sent to the client in a timely manner.
- Perform Rate Table/Labour Categories/ Labour Codes Validation, as required
- Assist Controllers with project related provisions / reserves (i.e. Estimate at Completion adjustments, Accounts Receivable, Work in Progress, ROCV and legal claims)
- Identify AR & WIP provision requirements
- Review backup documentation supporting provisions and track all monthly adjustments as required
- Perform Hard and Soft Backlog Validation
- Support Controllers during month end close as required.
- Prepare and analyze variances pertaining to cost and revenue.
- Prepare ad hoc project related financial reports from time to time as requested
- Assist Controller with project related external and internal audit requirements.
- Champions integrity and trust, strong work-ethics and able to multi-task and juggle multiple priorities simultaneously
- Good understanding of accounting principles and policies
- Post-secondary education from an accredited university or college in accounting or finance;
- Accounting designation or working towards a designation
- 3+ years' financial experience in the engineering/construction industry;
- Previous experience in project accounting and financial analysis;
- Good communication and documentation skills with excellent interpersonal skills;
- Conscientious worker, who can work independently or in a team setting with minimal supervision;
- Must be able to prioritize workload and work with deadlines on short notice.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.