Geotechnical Field Technician St. Catharines, ON 04/06/2019
WSP in St. Catharines, ON
WSP is one of the world's leading professional services firms. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
We have over 48,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 8,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're among the LinkedIn Top 25 Companies two years in a row, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects .
At WSP :
- We value our people and our reputation
- We are locally dedicated with international scale
- We are future focused and challenge the status quo
- We foster collaboration in everything we do
- We have an empowering culture and hold ourselves accountable
ST. CATHARINES Overview of the Opportunity:
WSP is currently looking for a Materials Testing Field Technician to join our team in St. Catharines or Cambridge. The position will be responsible for working with a team of specialists to conduct geotechnical materials inspection and testing throughout the St Catharines and Greater Hamilton Area for our clients.
Why choose WSP?
- A Canadian success story - a company that grew from humble roots in Quebec to a global, multinational powerhouse with over 48,000 employees worldwide;
- Impact the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada;
- Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every day to be greater than we were yesterday, for our employees, future employees, and our fellow Canadians, we're open to your ideas and trying new things that will challenge the status quo and raise the bar higher;
- A phenomenal collaborative culture and a forward-thinking workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly important work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
What you can expect to do here:
- You'll be part of a team providing technical services in geotechnical field settings, and also in the WSP office;
- You'll supervise and carry out inspections of construction work, as well as materials testing;
- You'll have the opportunity to conduct "in site" testing of different materials on construction sites, as well as perform tests including compaction, and testing of concrete and asphalt products;
- You'll work with a team of other technicians conducting similar work and participating in various tasks depending on workload fluctuations - teamwork is critical!
- You'll be performing concrete, soil, asphalt compaction testing in both the field, and in our lab;
- You'll be involved in proctor and gradation testing in the lab as well;
- You'll be a safety champion for WSP, never compromising on our Life Saving Rules and our mission of a Zero Harm environment for all our employee;
- You'll bring new ideas and suggestions forward, looking for creative ways to enhance our services and improve our client's experiences;
- You may be involved in other tasks from time to time, at the discretion of your manager.
- Ideally a diploma or degree related to Civil or Geotechnical engineer, and a passion for Geotechnical work and a career that involves a lot of variety, interaction with clients, and working outdoors;
- CCIL or CSA Certifications, or an interest in obtaining them;
- Great communication skills and the ability to work autonomously - you'll be on sites frequently and will need to be comfortable with problem solving, and working independently at times;
- Some experience with drilling procedures, and experience on construction sites;
- Previous experience with soil and asphalt compaction, concrete testing and subgrade evaluation (applied experience preferred, but academic is accepted as well - we can teach you the ropes!)
- Some prior experience working as a geotechnical technician would be great - bring what you've learned and build on your experience with us!
- Your own vehicle with appropriate insurance coverage and hold a Valid (G-Level) Ontario Driver's License;
- You're bringing a passion for field work, a positive attitude, some experience working with other professionals and an interest in contributing to our mission of building communities that can thrive
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.
St. Catharines, ON