Geotechnical Engineer Thunder Bay, ON 04/06/2019
WSP in Thunder Bay, ON
WSP is one of the world's leading professional services firms. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
We have over 48,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 8,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're among the LinkedIn Top 25 Companies two years in a row, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects .
At WSP :
- We value our people and our reputation
- We are locally dedicated with international scale
- We are future focused and challenge the status quo
- We foster collaboration in everything we do
- We have an empowering culture and hold ourselves accountable
At WSP, our Environmental and Geotechnical teams and working hard to provide elite engineering, consulting and design services for our broad base of clients in Ontario and Quebec. Due to recent growth and in alignment with our plans to continue offering services to our clients across our most populous provinces, we are in a position to hire an experienced Intermediate Geotechnical Engineer to the team in Thunder Bay. With a high degree of autonomy and the opportunity to become involved in design, client relations, complex challenges and the opportunity to thrive in a growing market, we're looking for people who are looking to grow, develop, and be part of building something great in Northern Ontario.
Why should you choose WSP?
- A Canadian success story - a company that grew from humble roots in Quebec to a global, multinational powerhouse with over 48,000 employees worldwide;
- Impact the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada;
- Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every day to be greater than we were yesterday, for our employees, future employees, and our fellow Canadians, we're open to your ideas and trying new things that will challenge the status quo and raise the bar higher;
- A phenomenal collaborative culture and a forward-thinking workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly important work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
What you'll be doing here:
- Participate in the design of plans, preliminary estimations and details with the use of the guidelines for the projects relating to the field of mine waste and water management. Coordinate office design and site work activities.
- Establish design calculations and ensure plans correspond to the guidelines, the code prescriptions and other regulations;
- Performing work on small projects or portions of larger projects in a team-oriented environment;
- Geotechnical and hydrological/hydraulic analysis, optimizing designs, writing and reviewing technical reports and specifications.
- Establish and maintain relationships with clients to define their needs, explain technical information, concepts or study results;
- Travel to domestic and international sites;
- Produce statements of quantities and prepare budget assessment;
- Verify and complete request for proposals, estimates and other technical documents;
- Supervise the work of Technicians and Draftspersons appointed to the project;
- Prepare presentation materials and develop proposals and related strategies;
- Working with the Field Construction Team, perform site construction review duties on civil infrastructure projects as assigned
- Other tasks as assigned or required.
- Undergraduate Degree in a Civil Engineering program with a specialization in geotechnical from an accredited university;
- Applicants must be registered with the provincial engineering association;
- Minimum 5-10 years of related experience;
- Practical work experience related to development and operations of mining projects
- Geotechnical investigations and reporting;
- Geotechnical analysis and foundation assessments;
- Surface water management design;
- Earth fill dam and embankment design and monitoring;
- Dam safety management and reviews
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.
Thunder Bay, ON