Director, Building Sciences Alberta Calgary, AB 04/06/2019
WSP in Calgary, AB
WSP is one of the world's leading professional services firms. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
We have over 48,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 8,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're among the LinkedIn Top 25 Companies two years in a row, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects .
At WSP :
- We value our people and our reputation
- We are locally dedicated with international scale
- We are future focused and challenge the status quo
- We foster collaboration in everything we do
- We have an empowering culture and hold ourselves accountable
Reporting directly to the National Market Sector Vice President, the Director Alberta Building Sciences will be responsible for and actively involved in the leadership and management of this portion of the regional business. The WSP Canada Building Sciences team comprises 220 specialists serving clients from 16 offices coast-to-coast in Canada. The Alberta operation currently includes teams in Calgary and Edmonton. Services to building owners include expert consulting for:
- Building condition assessments, capital planning, reserve fund studies
- Structure evaluation and repair
- Cladding evaluation, repair, restoration and renewal
- Roof evaluation, repair & renewal
- Other building and surrounding site finishes repair, restoration and renewal
The technology and forensic capabilities within Building Sciences leverage and support the breadth of expertise and market position of other WSP teams. These include structural, mechanical and electrical engineering, sustainability & energy and transportation. In particular, the Building Sciences team also delivers façade engineering, advanced modelling and building enclosure commissioning for new development projects.
This is an opportunity to grow an existing business that draws on decades of experience and strong client relationships. The WSP strategic plan is committed to invest and achieve sustainable growth as we pursue our journey to being the first choice for employees, clients and partners. These are still early days in the ascension of WSP and our serving the Canadian market. These are exciting times at WSP as both Global and Canadian leadership is focused on delivering upon our promises and capitalizing upon our opportunities..
The Director maintains WSP's position as a leading services provider within the region through promoting the vision and culture of the firm and in executing the strategy and meeting business objectives. The successful candidate is recognized as a motivating leader with a proven ability to build and manage a top-performing team, achieve operational and profitability targets, have a genuine commitment to the firm`s values, and manage client relationships. You will have demonstrable experience with project delivery, recognizing that success requires high quality service as well as financial rewards. You will be adept at leveraging and collaborating with other leaders and technical experts to benefit the regional business. Responsibilities will include developing and achieving region specific plans and targets, monitoring financial performance and ensuring client satisfaction.
- ?Develop the annual regional budget and business plan, in alignment with the national budgets and strategies.
- Provide operational expertise and oversight within the region, leveraging Team Leaders and other Managers.
- Maintain personal involvement with major clients. Proactively seek to understand evolving client needs, local and industry trends and upcoming project opportunities. Anticipate and plan to take advantage of opportunities.
- Manage proposals and contractual agreements originating within the region, liaise with Buildings Business Development staff to create local business development plans.
- Ensure the region meets established financial targets including: Backlog, Net Revenue, Operating Margin and Days Sales Outstanding (DSO).
- Monitor, measure, and report on regional results, opportunities, business development plans, challenges and achievements.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with other senior leaders, representing regional needs and identifying opportunities to share resources and collaborate to achieve quality and efficiency.
- Work with WSP's various Support Services groups (Finance, HR, HSE, IT, Quality, Project Management Office) acting as the key liaison for the region. Be a change leader, taking responsibility to benefit from nationally led improvement programs and assuring the team implements these locally.
- Understand the short and long-term workforce requirements for the region. This includes identifying future skill sets required and any gaps, utilizing WSP programs to proactively build a strong talent pool; ensuring that a succession plan is in place for key positions.
- Lead local safety and quality efforts ensuring staff are current on evolving programs and practices; ensure improvement action plans are created and implemented.
- Act as a spokesperson for WSP within the community and encourage staff to do the same. Participate in industry associations and proactively work to raise local WSP brand awareness.
- Create and maintain an atmosphere where people want to work and encourage all employees to "be the best they can be."
- Residency in either Calgary or Edmonton and willingness to travel between these locations.
- Minimum of twelve (12) years in engineering consulting, delivering technical and complex projects, with at least 4 years' experience leading a building sciences team.
- A strategic thinker with ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; ability to communicate with customers, associates and management.
- Client-centered focus, understanding and proactive in addressing customer needs and expectations.
- Exceptional project management skills including the ability to effectively deploy resources and manage multiple projects of various diverse scope in a cross-functional environment;
- Team player with proven ability to influence others to achieve desired objectives.
- Pro-active, diligent and efficient in the execution of responsibilities.
- Able to work well under pressure and meet deadlines by prioritizing and multi-tasking.
- Set expectation and performance standards and drive project performance to meet milestones, deadlines, and quality objectives.
- Facilitate constructive and productive group interaction and maintain group commitment to goals and objectives.
- Ability to think critically when evaluating problems, drawing valid conclusions and generating a range of alternative solutions and courses of action.
- Tactful when dealing with confidential or sensitive information or situations.
- Building Sciences technology
- Leadership & mentoring
- Project management
- Professional Services Contracts, risk management and mitigation techniques.
- Business financial reporting
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.