Lead Tunnel Engineer, Water and Wastewater Thornhill, ON 04/06/2019
WSP in Thornhill, ON
WSP is one of the world's leading professional services firms. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
We have over 48,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 8,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're among the LinkedIn Top 25 Companies two years in a row, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects .
At WSP :
- We value our people and our reputation
- We are locally dedicated with international scale
- We are future focused and challenge the status quo
- We foster collaboration in everything we do
- We have an empowering culture and hold ourselves accountable
Are you looking to join one of Canada's largest professional services firm? Are you looking to be a part of projects that shape the future? WSP is looking for a Tunneling / Trenchless Team Lead to join our Infrastructure and Transportation Business Line.
WSP is a full-service provider as it relates to Water. We plan, design, engineer and project manage water and wastewater treatment plants, booster stations, reservoirs, and sewage pumping stations, engineer large diameter transmission mains and tunnels, small diameter distribution mains, and conduct condition assessments and trenchless pipe rehabilitation and relining. We understand that water, and wastewater too, are valuable resources and not something to be simply disposed of. Therefore, we take the total water cycle into consideration when engineering solutions and strive to solve our clients' most complex water challenges by leveraging our experience and deep knowledge to deliver integrated, sustainable solutions. Our ability to develop creative and efficient approaches and offer options and innovative alternatives to address project challenges is a key differentiator of our team in the marketplace. Over the past five decades, our clients have relied on us to carry out a wide array of projects, some of which have received national and international awards.
WSP globally has managed large complex tunneling projects, set records in designing TBM-driven tunnels, and has engineered tunnels that are exceptionally deep, large in diameter and set in challenging ground conditions. We regularly advise transit agencies on the increasingly critical issues of tunnel safety and security, vulnerability assessment, durability, sustainability, and risk management. This position will provide you with the opportunity to lead our Tunneling and Trenchless projects in the Transport and Infrastructure Group in Ontario as well as supporting our national and global tunneling and trenchless practice.
The successful candidate will join a passionate team of transport, and water and wastewater professionals who provide Future Ready solutions to the infrastructure needs of tomorrow. WSP offers you the opportunity to be a significant contributor to a winning team that delivers world-class engineering in Infrastructure, Industry/Mining and Hydropower. We use the latest tools and technologies to collaborate, communicate and design the world of tomorrow. We have a modern and flexible workplace and a corporate culture that puts the success of the employee at the heart of how we do business.
WSP is currently seeking a Tunneling / Trenchless Team Lead to join our Water & Wastewater department, and also work closely with the Transportation department, both located at our Thornhill office. Reporting to the Vice President Water/Wastewater, this position will be responsible for business development, risk management, managing the design and project management of multi-million dollar tunneling and trenchless projects for the transport and infrastructure business lines.
Building upon our significant Tunneling Experience, you will be working as a senior member of our team, your primary focus will be managing risk, executing our design and construction projects and programs, and developing our team to successfully deliver our significant tunneling portfolio of projects. Your expertise covers TBM and conventional tunneling, SEM, pipe jacking, microtunneling, guided bore and pilot tube, auger boring, HDD, and rehabilitation techniques, as well as deep shaft excavations, caverns and large underground infrastructure to deliver solutions that maximize constructability and provide the best value to our clients.
- Prepare and execute a business plan for the Tunneling Practice in Ontario and identify, build and sustain key client relationships
- Be active in the tunneling and trenchless industry and help increase WSP's profile in this market segment
- Actively lead and participate in multidisciplinary teams preparing RFP, Bid and Proposal documents
- Manage the risk profile of tunneling and trenchless projects
- Identify, attract and mentor a team of tunneling and trenchless professionals
- Project Manage for critical projects as the team grows
- Actively participate in the design and provide direction to the technical team throughout the design process;
- Liaise with the various municipal/utility/approval agencies and stakeholders;
- Be responsible for project budgets, project schedules, and client communications;
- Lead a multi-disciplinary project team to undertake major transportation and water/wastewater projects;
- Apply proven design experience including conceptual, preliminary and detailed designs;
- Ability to co-ordinate with different teams, both within WSP and externally
- Liaising with the client, attending progress meetings and producing reports on progress
- Other duties as assigned.
- 15+ years of tunneling and trenchless infrastructure (TBM and conventional tunneling, SEM, pipe jacking, microtunneling, guided bore and pilot tube, auger boring, HDD, and rehabilitation techniques) experience for Public Sector and P3 clients
- Post graduate degree in tunneling, geotechnical or structural engineering is an asset
- Professional Engineer designation preferably in Ontario or eligible for transfer
- PMP Certification is an asset
- Project Management experience on tunneling and trenchless projects;
- Knowledge and experience with Condition Assessments and pipeline rehabilitation
- Familiarity with claims, arbitration, and litigation;
- Excellent communication and presentation skills and can influence project teams, stakeholders and clients
- A team player that thrives in what seems at times a chaotic environment and provides calm and effective leadership
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.