Project Assistant Ottawa, ON 04/06/2019
WSP in Ottawa, ON
WSP is one of the world's leading professional services firms. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
We have over 48,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 8,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're among the LinkedIn Top 25 Companies two years in a row, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects .
At WSP :
- We value our people and our reputation
- We are locally dedicated with international scale
- We are future focused and challenge the status quo
- We foster collaboration in everything we do
- We have an empowering culture and hold ourselves accountable
Overview of the Opportunity:
At WSP our Environmental team are working hard to provide hazardous materials and broader environmental services consultancy and related technical services to continue to position WSP as a leader in the market. We're looking for an experienced Project Assistant to join the Environmental and Designated Substances team and work on a high-profile government rehabilitation project. The successful applicant would be predominantly located at our Project Office, in Downtown Ottawa. Reporting to the project Environmental Discipline Lead, this position will be responsible for assisting in the effective management of project data, coordination of resources, document control and team administrative tasks.
Why Choose WSP?
- A Canadian success story - a company that grew from humble roots in Quebec to a global, multinational powerhouse with over 48,000 employees worldwide;
- Impact the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada;
- Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every day to be greater than we were yesterday, for our employees, future employees, and our fellow Canadians, we're open to your ideas and trying new things that will challenge the status quo and raise the bar higher;
- A phenomenal collaborative culture and a forward-thinking workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly important work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
What you can expect to do here:
- You will manage and track incoming and outgoing project communications and documents;
- You will store, secure, revise, retrieve, distribute electronic and hard copy documents;
- You will process and control documents and drawings in accordance with established guidelines and client-specific procedures;
- You will review proposals, reports, specifications, and other documents to ensure adherence to quality and document standards;
- You may format / reformat documents where required;
- You will coordinate with Project Managers to track project schedules, as well as being responsible for the final submission of deliverables;
- You will manage the flow of records to and from all appropriate parties;
- You will respond to internal and external documentation requests;
- You will ensure timely archiving of project records;
- You will communicate effectively with site and management team members and offer administrative support where required;
- You may assist in resource management and scheduling of operational staff, including the daily maintenance of the staff resource planner;
- You will assist in the tracking and allocation of time and expenses;
- You will manage the reception and storage of field data and associated laboratory results;
- You may undertake ad hoc administrative duties such as arranging site equipment hire, organising dispatch of site samples to the lab and ordering of office / lab consumables;
- You will create folder structures within the project database and assisting in the generation of documentation for the site operatives;
What you'll bring to WSP:
- You will ideally hold a technical degree in a related discipline;
- You have at least 4 years of relevant experience in computerized and manual document control management in an engineering, environmental, or related industry;
- You are proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) applications and an additional working knowledge of database software would be beneficial;
- You have the ability to deal effectively and professionally with all staff levels within the office;
- You posses thorough knowledge of project documentation and engineering / environmental terminology;
- You have experience in various electronic drawing file formats;
- You have excellent written, verbal and interpersonal skills (Bilingualism (French/English) is considered an asset) ?;
- Ideally you will have experience of working on federal projects and hold reliability or secret level security clearance;
- You are keen to learn new procedures and operational processes, and implement these consistently;
- You're self-motivated and are an independent worker who enjoys autonomy, but also having a team to lean on;
- You have a flexibility to work on a wide variety of tasks and assignments, responding easily to changing priorities;
- You will have a good eye for detail, especially when it comes to documentation;
- You'll be enthusiastic, resourceful, organized, and detail oriented;
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.