Transportation Planner/Engineer Thornhill, ON 04/06/2019
WSP in Thornhill, ON
WSP is one of the world's leading professional services firms. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
We have over 48,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 8,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're among the LinkedIn Top 25 Companies two years in a row, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects .
At WSP :
- We value our people and our reputation
- We are locally dedicated with international scale
- We are future focused and challenge the status quo
- We foster collaboration in everything we do
- We have an empowering culture and hold ourselves accountable
WSP is currently seeking Junior/Intermediate Transportation Planners/Engineers to join our Transportation Planning Teams, located at our Thornhill office. Reporting to a Senior Project Manager, this position will be responsible for working on numerous projects for respected municipal clients and private sector developers. Projects include: Transportation Master Plans, Secondary Plans, Area Studies, Environmental Assessments, Traffic Impact Studies, Parking Studies, Active Transportation Plans, Transportation Demand Management (TDM) Strategies, and Multi-Modal Studies.
- Preparing and contributing to transportation studies including Multi-modal studies, Traffic Impact Studies, Transportation Master Plans, Environmental Assessments, TDM Strategies, Active Transportation Plans, and Parking Studies;
- Liaising with clients, project team members, road authorities and other stakeholders regarding project requirements;
- Analyzing transportation data and conducting traffic, transit and active transportation analysis;
- Working with a team of transportation/traffic engineers, planners and designers to assess existing and future transportation, traffic and parking conditions;
- Applying best practice professional principles and undertaking engineering calculations, analyses and studies as required for the design and implementation of transportation, transit and traffic projects;
- Preparation of technical memos and reports to communicate technical results and recommendations, site plan reviews and design modifications;
- Attending and participating at client, stakeholder and public meetings;
- Conducting field studies (site visits, inventories, transit, traffic, and parking counts);
- Other duties as assigned/required.
- Degree in civil engineering, transportation engineering, urban planning or in another professional discipline related to the job function.
- Eligible for P.Eng License from the Professional Engineers of Ontario or Registered Professional Planner from Ontario Professional Planning Institute;
- 2- 5 years' experience in transportation planning, traffic engineering, urban planning, environmental planning or a related field;
- Experience using Synchro/Simtraffic;
- Beneficial knowledge of HCS, CCG, VISSIM, EMME, and Aimsun;
- Ability to work in a team environment;
- Good communication skills and leadership abilities;
- Valid Ontario driver's license.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.