Landfill/Waste Management Site Inspector Hamilton , ON 04/06/2019
WSP in Hamilton, ON
WSP is one of the world's leading professional services firms. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
We have over 48,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 8,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're among the LinkedIn Top 25 Companies two years in a row, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects .
At WSP :
- We value our people and our reputation
- We are locally dedicated with international scale
- We are future focused and challenge the status quo
- We foster collaboration in everything we do
- We have an empowering culture and hold ourselves accountable
LONDON | KITCHENER | GOLDEN HORSESHOE
Overview of the Opportunity:
At WSP our Environment team are working hard to provide Waste Management services to continue to position WSP as a leader in the market. We're looking for a Landfill/Waste Management Site Inspector to join the Waste Management team and support major projects in the Southwestern Ontario region. You are ideally willing and able to travel to the various project sites in the region, and could be working on sites for a few weeks at a time in different areas of Ontario. Current projects are across Southwestern Ontario, with an immediate project in London, Ontario.
Reporting to the Director, this position will work closely with the Hamilton based team and be responsible for monitoring landfill construction, ensuring compliance, and completing inspections & investigations. At WSP, you'll have the opportunity to be involved in a variety of field and office work, which may including monitoring, sampling, reporting, etc. We're looking for a well-rounded team player who enjoys site work, interacting with clients and our contractor partners, enjoys autonomy and variety and is interested in career growth and development.
Why choose WSP?
- A Canadian success story - a company that grew from humble roots in Quebec to a global, multinational powerhouse with over 48,000 employees worldwide;
- Impact the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada;
- Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every day to be greater than we were yesterday, for our employees, future employees, and our fellow Canadians, we're open to your ideas and trying new things that will challenge the status quo and raise the bar higher;
- A phenomenal collaborative culture and a forward-thinking workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly important work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
What you can expect to do here:
- You'll be responsible for construction observation to ensure adherence to environmental permits, regulations and design specification;
- You'll be conducting on-site visits and completing site inspections and investigations;
- You'll be monitoring and recording contractor field installations;
- You'll be undertaking the monitoring of landfill gas systems, groundwater and surface water systems;
- You'll be contribute to the group with a positive attitude and ability to work both in a team and independently;
- You will always ensure health and safety policies are followed at all sites and take WSP's Life Saving Safety rules to heart and;
- Other duties as assigned or required in your role.
- You'll ideally have a post-secondary education in a related discipline (civil, environmental, geo, etc.);
- You will ideally have intermediate experience in waste management facilities and landfill construction;
- Some experience with waste transfer stations, compost facilities, materials recycling facilities and waste-to-energy would be an asset
- You'll ideally have knowledge of CAD and Civil 3D;
- You'll have honed your strong report writing skills and verbal communication in English;
- You will be a stickler for details, especially when it comes to documentation;
- You'll be enthusiastic, resourceful, organized, and detail oriented;
- You have excellent interpersonal skills and have the ability to communicate effectively and to proactively respond to time-sensitive issues;
- You're self-motivated and are an independent worker who enjoys autonomy, but also having a team to lean on;
- You're a logical thinker and will bring practical solutions to field challenges;
- You have a flexibility to work on a wide variety of projects, tasks and assignments, responding easily to changing priorities;
- You're willing to work evenings and/or weekends as required for project work and;
- You have a vehicle with appropriate insurance coverage and hold a Valid (G-Level) Ontario Driver's License.
WSP Canada Inc.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.
Hamilton , ON