Highway Design Engineer Red Deer, AB 04/06/2019
WSP in Red Deer, AB
WSP is one of the world's leading professional services firms. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
We have over 48,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 8,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're among the LinkedIn Top 25 Companies two years in a row, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects .
At WSP :
- We value our people and our reputation
- We are locally dedicated with international scale
- We are future focused and challenge the status quo
- We foster collaboration in everything we do
- We have an empowering culture and hold ourselves accountable
WSP is currently seeking an Intermediate Highway Design Engineer to join our Transportation Engineering Design Team located at the Red Deer Office, Alberta. Reporting to the Design Team Lead, this position will be responsible for the delivery of multi-discipline highway design projects (from low volume roads to rural highways and occasionally assisting with freeway designs and special studies) for Alberta Transportation Ministry, Alberta Municipal Districts and other jurisdictions Across Western Canada.
- Performing roadway design for projects pertaining to grading and pavement construction/reconstruction, in accordance with Alberta Transportation requirements. You will also undertake the design of roads owned by various municipalities and cities across Alberta based on their approved design standards
- Carrying out comprehensive field evaluation of existing roadways and associated infrastructure, in accordance with the Alberta Transportation 3R/4R Guidelines, and provide cost-effective rehabilitation design recommendations
- Performing highway geometric design and Civil 3D modeling; developing alignment plans; profiles, cross-sections; super-elevation; and grading design and construction staging plans
- Perform design reviews completed by others along with professional authentication of memos, reports, drawings and other engineering documents
- Preparing engineering documents such as design rationale, technical memos, simple to complex design reports, public open house presentation materials etc
- Developing specifications (special provisions), design quantities, cost estimates and permit documents as required during the life expectancy of a highway project
- Provide engineering support during road/highway construction, including site visits as required, and responding to request for clarification or information related to projects under construction
- Mentor junior staff with technical and professional development
- Assist with the preparation of technical aspects of proposals in response to requests from WSP clients
- Coordinate design tasks and review meetings between design staff, subconsultants, and WSP client managers
- Establish excellent working relationships and contact with client technical staff and project managers.
- Undergraduate degree in Civil Engineering from an accredited university or a Civil Engineering Technologist diploma;
- Minimum of 8 years of highway/road design complimented with a construction experience in Alberta.
- Registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng) or Professional Licensee (Engineering) (P.L.(Eng.) in the Province of Alberta
- Comprehensive understanding of Alberta Transportation Design Standards and construction practices.
- Full and in-depth familiarity with AutoCAD and Civil 3D design software is required. Experience with MicroStation, InRoads would be considered an asset
- Highly motivated and enthusiastic with a strong desire to succeed
- Strategic, conceptual analytical thinking and decision-making skills
- Adaptability and flexibility including the ability to manage project deadlines
- Demonstrated willingness to learn and take on new challenges
- Excellent oral and written and presentation skills
- Be flexible and have the ability to work on multiple projects of varied complexity with minimal supervision
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.
Red Deer, AB