Sobeys Inc. in Stellarton, NS
Requisition ID: 50875
Career Group: Corporate Careers
Job Category: Legal - General Counsel
Travel Requirements: 10 - 20%
Country: Canada (CA)
Province: Nova Scotia (CA-NS)
Location: King St. Office
A proudly Canadian retail company, Sobeys began in 1907 as a small meat delivery business in Stellarton, Nova Scotia. Today, Sobeys Inc. serves the food shopping needs of Canadians with approximately 1,500 stores in all 10 provinces under retail banners that include Sobeys, Safeway, IGA, Foodland, FreshCo, Thrifty Foods, and Lawton's Drug Stores as well as in-store pharmacies, liquor and more than 350 retail fuel locations.
Together with our 125,000 employees and franchise affiliates and a collective passion for delivering exceptional food and shopping experiences, Sobeys' purpose is to improve the lives of Canadians by helping them Eat Better, Feel Better and Do Better.
All career opportunities will be open a minimum of 5 business days from the date of posting.
Sobeys is seeking a lawyer with 2-4 years of experience to join its team of 15 lawyers in the role of Legal Counsel. The successful candidate will be working regularly with business partners across Canada.
- Review, draft and negotiate commercial agreements and advise on RFPs and indirect sourcing contracts
- Provide a broad range of legal services on matters in which Sobeys may be engaged in order to achieve Sobeys' goals and/or minimize legal risk
- Provide functional legal services to business leaders and other employees including strategic sourcing and Related Business.
- Oversee satisfactory resolution of complex, sensitive and sometimes ambiguous legal issues, typically with business risks
- Advise the business on legal issues impacting the business, including the drafting and hands-on negotiation of diverse agreements with internal and external clients
- Direct some legal actions in which Sobeys is involved, either directly or through outside counsel, including management and oversight of outside counsel
- Manage/lead and/or assign work to paralegal and support staff on specific files or provide day-to-day direction
- Strong analytical, drafting, negotiation, and situational judgment skills
- Exceptional communication and relationship building skills
- Ability to pro-actively provide ideas, advice and solutions relative to legal issues
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment
- Good relationship management skills
- Adept at working with outside counsel
- Ability to feel comfortable in a retail environment and confident dealing with all levels within the organization
- Able to relate to people at all levels, both in and outside of the organization
- Minimum 2 to 4 years' experience gained from a combination of private practice and in-house roles in commercial law
- Strong track record in managing a broad range of legal issues and interacting closely with clients/business team members
- Experience with file management, litigation, information technology law and supply chain business will be preferred
- Membership in good standing with a Canadian Law Society
Sobeys is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process and will work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of this process.
While all responses are appreciated only those being considered for interviews will be acknowledged.
We appreciate the interest from the Staffing industry however respectfully request no calls or unsolicited resumes from Agencies.