Electrical Designer Sudbury, ON 04/06/2019
WSP in Sudbury, ON
WSP is one of the world's leading professional services firms. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
We have over 48,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 8,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're among the LinkedIn Top 25 Companies two years in a row, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects .
At WSP :
- We value our people and our reputation
- We are locally dedicated with international scale
- We are future focused and challenge the status quo
- We foster collaboration in everything we do
- We have an empowering culture and hold ourselves accountable
WSP is currently seeking an Electrical Designer to join our Sudbury Industrial Group, located at our Sudbury Ontario office. Reporting to the Industrial Team Lead, this position will be responsible for the application of electrical design knowledge on project work for the growing Sudbury Industrial team. WSP is committed to supporting the growth of the Sudbury Industrial / Mining office and establishing a sustainable long-term presence to better support Clients in Northeastern Ontario. The Sudbury Industrial team works closely with other WSP Industrial offices to build the best team to meet clients project needs.
As an Electrical Designer within the Industrial Group you will work on both new construction and brownfield projects. The industrial group provides service to industrial, institutional and government clients. You will apply your electrical / instrumentation and automation design knowledge on project work from conceptual design and studies through to project completion. Technical quality, cost effectiveness, building and maintaining client relationships are integral parts of this role.
What you can expect:
- Safety Focus including consideration of safety in design, construction and operations
- Design of electrical power distribution systems;
- Design of building lighting and associated control systems;
- Design of fire-detection/alarm systems;
- Design of industrial control systems;
- Assist and contribute to engineering calculations;
- Coordination with various departments and disciplines required for project implementation;
- Production of detailed drawing and contribute to engineering specifications (AutoCAD, AutoCAD 3d, Revit);
- Industrial and Commercial site reviews;
- Assist with preparation of engineering reports.
What you'll bring to WSP:
- Electrical Engineering Diploma or Degree from an accredited institution;
- Intermediate experience in electrical design;
- C. Tech or C.E.T. designation or availability a benefit;
- Ability to work with a minimum of instructions and complete tasks independently;
- Working knowledge of CSA standards, ANSI standards, IEEE standards, Ontario Building Code, and other applicable codes;
- Be fluent in the English language with excellent verbal and written communication skills with working knowledge of the Microsoft suite of programs;
- Control system (PLC, DCS, HMI) programming ability a benefit;
- Must be able to attend industrial sites and observe all applicable safety regulations ;
- Project experience in mills, smelters, mines, industrial sites, infrastructure, refinery, ports, material handling, pulp and paper is beneficial
- Must possess a team player attitude and be able to work in project team environment;
- Must possess a valid driver's license
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.