WSP in Ottawa, ON
WSP is one of the world's leading professional engineering services firms. Every day our more than 48,000 experts work to restore the natural environment and transform the built environment.
In Canada, our 8,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects.
At WSP , we're proud, professional and passionate people, join our team.
WSP is currently seeking a geoscience technician to join our environmental team located at our Ottawa office.
- Research, field work and reporting for Phase One Environmental Site Assessment;
- Planning and conducting soil and groundwater sampling using a variety of techniques in support of Phase Two Environmental Site Assessments and hydrogeological investigations;
- Overseeing drilling and test pitting contractors in the conduct of soil sampling and groundwater monitoring well installation. Collection and field screening of soil and/or groundwater samples;
- Overseeing geotechnical drilling contractors. Collection of soil rock and/or groundwater for geotechnical purposes;
- Groundwater, surface water, monitoring well sampling, soil collection and sampling;
- Oversight of tanks removal and soil remediation work;
- Using appropriate technology and equipment to monitor and record site conditions;
- Providing oversight of abatement and remediation at contaminated sites;
- Compiling, analyzing and reviewing data to develop a conceptual model of site characteristics and interpreting nature and extent of contamination;
- Conducting environmental monitoring during construction to document adherence to environmental protection measures including materials sampling and testing;
- Traveling for field work, possibly to remote locations and for extended periods;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Engineering Technician Diploma or equivalent education;
- 1 to 4 years practical experience in geo-environmental services;
- Knowledge and experience in field practices and site investigation and characterization techniques including environmental management principles and regulations in Ontario;
- Practical experience conducting construction monitoring work and materials testing;
- Nuclear Density Gauge and First Aid Training would be assets;
- Strong computer skills with MS Office;
- Ability to take direction, be motivated and a self-starter;
- Enjoy the outdoors in all weather conditions;
- Excellent written and communication skills;
- The desire to succeed in a dynamic, progressive organization;
- Logical thinking and ability to bring practical solutions to field challenges;
- Attention to detail in the completion of project-critical documentation;
- Strong organization skills and ability to schedule multiple tasks within set deadlines for various stages of projects, including field work and reporting;
- Self-motivated and able to work independently or in a team environment;
- Bilingualism (English/French) will be considered an asset.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.