Senior environmental engineer/geoscientist
WSP in Ottawa, ON
WSP is one of the world's leading professional engineering services firms. Every day our more than 48,000 experts work to restore the natural environment and transform the built environment.
In Canada, our 8,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects.
At WSP , we're proud, professional and passionate people, join our team.
WSP is currently seeking a senior environmental engineer/geoscientist to join our Environmental team, located at our Ottawa office.
- Completing, or directing, background documentation reviews, field investigations, data analysis, and preparing reports to document findings;
- Completing, or directing, field investigations including soil, groundwater, sediment and surface water sampling, overseeing drilling or excavation contractors, surveying, coordinator of sample analysis with laboratories;
- Report writing;
- Remediation oversight and environmental monitoring for impacts during construction;
- Assist senior engineers and mentor intermediate and junior engineers as required;
- Provide senior technical reviews on environmental site assessments and/or hydrogeological assessments;
- Provide excellent Client management to existing and potential clients;
- Collaborate with other disciplines within WSP with respect to multi-faceted/multi-disciplinary projects;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Degree or Diploma specializing in Environmental Science, Geosciences, Hydrogeology, Engineering or related discipline; a post-graduate degree or diploma in an environmental field will be considered an asset;
- Possess a P.Eng or P.Geo License in Ontario;
- 10+ years of experience as a consultant in the industry with prior experience with Environmental Site Assessment work;
- Experience completing environmental or hydrogeological monitoring or investigations;
- Knowledge and experience in field practices and site investigation and characterization techniques including environmental management principles and regulations in Ontario;
- Strong organization skills and ability to schedule multiple tasks at various stages of projects, including field work and reporting;
- Attention to detail, including documentation;
- Self-motivated and independent worker who is able to work in a team environment and take initiative in field work in a more autonomous setting while demonstrating the ability to advance in their career;
- Logical thinking ability and the initiative to apply knowledge and suggest practical solutions to field challenges;
- Willing to travel locally for field work;
- Occasional travel may be required to remote locations;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and is flexible to work on a wide variety of projects, tasks and assignments, responding easily to changing priorities;
- Excellent English (verbal /written) communication skills. French capabilities are considered an asset;
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills and have the ability to communicate effectively and to proactively respond to time-sensitive issues;
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office products;
- Must have reliable access to a vehicle with adequate insurance coverage as well as a full driver's license and clean driver's abstract.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.