Waterfront Ambassador – Lunenburg Waterfront
About Develop Nova Scotia
Develop Nova Scotia (formerly Waterfront Development) is the crown corporation responsible for leading sustainable development of high potential property and infrastructure across Nova Scotia to drive inclusive economic growth in our province. As Waterfront Development, our mandate was to redevelop and revitalize lands surrounding Halifax Harbour and other lands, including the Lunenburg waterfront. As Develop Nova Scotia, our mission is to support the creation of sustainable places right across Nova Scotia that attract and inspire people and investment.
Develop Nova Scotia invites applications for the term position of Waterfront Ambassador - Lunenburg Waterfront. The successful candidate will join a forward thinking, creative team with a true passion for their work.
Reporting to the Marine and Property Managers, Waterfront Ambassadors are the face of Develop Nova Scotia on the ground, providing information to visitors, working to enhance property presentation and services and for daily operation of our marine services, special events and other duties, as required. Ultimately, Ambassadors work to ensure all visitors enjoy a world-class waterfront experience each time they visit.
Please visit www.developns.ca for more details on Develop Nova Scotia's mandate and programs.
Closes: April 8, 2019, 2:00 PM (AST)
This position is responsible for all aspects of marina management for wharves and floating docks managed by Develop Nova Scotia on the Lunenburg Waterfront. It also entails general administrative support and oversight of special functions of the waterfront. As front line staff representing Develop Nova Scotia, this position requires an individual with excellent customer service skills and an engaging personality. As a member of a small team, the position also requires a high degree of cooperation with other members of the staff and the ability to work independently. Day to day duties may vary everyday. The successful candidate must be comfortable handling garbage, operating a half ton truck, using power and hand tools for small maintenance jobs, painting, and using push mower and whipper snipper.
Education: Current Enrollment and or completion of University or Community College preferred. Other education related to marina management and office skills are desired. Excellent computer skills are necessary.
Compensation: $12.50/hour, 40 hours/week
Term: May 1, 2019 - August 31, 2019. Day, evening and weekend shift work required. Persons who can work through until the end of September or October are encouraged to apply.
Waterfront Ambassador Customer Service/Public Relations Duties: Ambassadors are often the first point of contact for visitors to the waterfront by land and sea. As such, the position is responsible to communicate effectively with visitors - responding to questions, proactively promoting events and activities, and generally providing an enthusiastic, friendly information resource on the waterfront. Other general responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Handle daily public interface between visiting vessels and marine service office including bookings, free daily berthing program registration, vessel dockside reception, fee collections and provision of information to visitors of waterfront amenities. Comfortable and professional in fielding inquires by phone, email, and VHF radio. Responsible to maintain an onsite office and marine inventory.
- Assist with coordination other events at the marina, i.e. tournaments, regatta's?
- Oversee and participate in general maintenance, cleanliness of the property
- Maintain records of the Marina including files, reservations and berthing passes
Communication: Excellent written and verbal communication skills are essential. Must be able to work in a team environment.
Computers: Must be proficient with Apple products and their software as well as Word, and Excel.
- Experience working in a marine environment an asset
- Good interpersonal and office equipment skills are necessary
- Position will include extensive walking, as well as working outdoors in variable weather conditions
- Experience in landscaping, light carpentry, painting and general maintenance preferred
- Experience handling cash, major credit cards and debit transactions an asset
- Valid Driver's License
- Valid Standard First Aid Certificate
- A passion for the waterfront is essential
Return Resumes to:
Attention: Heather Russell
Develop Nova Scotia
The Cable Wharf 1751 Lower Water Street, 2nd Floor
Halifax, NS B3J 1S5
Review of applications will commence on April 11, 2019 with expected start date for position May 1, 2019. Only those candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.