Waterfront Ambassadors – Halifax Waterfront
About Develop Nova Scotia
Develop Nova Scotia (formerly Waterfront Development) is the crown corporation responsible for leading sustainable development of high potential property and infrastructure across Nova Scotia to drive inclusive economic growth in our province. As Waterfront Development, our mandate was to redevelop and revitalize lands surrounding Halifax Harbour and other lands, including the Lunenburg waterfront. As Develop Nova Scotia, our mission is to support the creation of sustainable places right across Nova Scotia that attract and inspire people and investment.
Develop Nova Scotia invites applications for the term position of Waterfront Ambassador based on the Halifax waterfront. The successful candidate will join a forward thinking, creative team with a true passion for their work.
Reporting to the Marine and Property Managers, Waterfront Ambassadors are the face of Develop Nova Scotia on the ground, providing information to visitors, working to enhance property presentation, the daily operation of our marine services program, special events and other duties as required. Ultimately, Ambassadors work to ensure all visitors enjoy a world-class waterfront experience each time they visit.
Please visit www.developns.ca for more details on Develop Nova Scotia's mandate and programs.
Closes: April 8th, 2019, 2:00 PM (AST)
This position is responsible for managing the day-to-day operations of the wharves and floating docks managed by Develop Nova Scotia on the Halifax/Bedford waterfronts with an office located on the Halifax waterfront. It also entails various aspects of property management and maintenance as well as administrative support and oversight of special events and functions of the waterfront. As front line staff representing Develop Nova Scotia this position requires an individual with excellent customer service skills, an engaging personality and willingness to perform hands-on tasks ensuring marina and property cleanliness. As a member of a small team, the position also requires a high degree of cooperation with other members of the staff and the ability to work independently.
Education & Experience: Current Enrollment and/or completion of High School, University or Community College preferred. Other education or experience related to marina management and office skills are desired. Excellent computer skills are necessary.
Compensation: $12.50/hour, 35 hours/week
Term: May 1, 2019 - August 31, 2019. Day, evening and weekend shift work required. Persons who can work through until the end of September or October are encouraged to apply.
Waterfront Ambassador Customer Service/Public Relations Duties: Ambassadors are often the first point of contact for visitors to the waterfront by land and sea. As such, the position is responsible to communicate effectively with visitors, responding to questions, proactively promoting events, attractions and activities, and generally providing an enthusiastic, friendly information resource on the waterfront and provide the Develop Nova Scotia Marketing & Communications team with potential photos/content for social media, web site etc.
Other general responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Act as liaison between the Marine Manager and visiting vessels as well as Marina tenants
- Handle daily public interface between visiting vessels and the Marina Office including bookings, free daytime berthing program registration, vessel dockside reception, fee collections and provision of information to visitors of waterfront amenities. Comfortable and professional in fielding inquires by phone, email, and VHF radio and responsible to sufficiently maintain an onsite office and marine inventory.
- Assist with coordination of other marine events including tournaments, regattas and group bookings.
- Carry out general maintenance and ensure cleanliness along the entire property with a focus on the marina. Promote and ensure compliance of visitors and tenants to our Blue Flag Marina standard.
- Open and maintain the office in a presentable fashion for guests and clients.
- Maintain records of the Marina including files, reservations and berthing passes.
- Draft general correspondence for the Marina and receive and respond to email on behalf of the Halifax Waterfront Marina.
Communication: Excellent written and verbal communication skills are essential. Must be able to work in a team environment.
Computers: Must be proficient with Apple products and their software as well as Microsoft Word, Excel and Adobe Acrobat. Must be able to produce professional documents for communication and distribution.
- Experience working in a marine environment an asset
- Good interpersonal and office equipment skills are necessary
- Position will include extensive walking as well as physical labour both indoors and outdoors in variable weather conditions
- Experience in landscaping, light carpentry, painting and general maintenance preferred
- Experience handling cash, major credit cards and debit transactions an asset
- Valid Driver's License
- Valid Standard First Aid Certificate
- Small Craft Operators card is required
- Experience operating small watercrafts required
- A passion for the waterfront is essential
Return Resumes to:
Attention: Heather Russell
Develop Nova Scotia
The Cable Wharf, 1751 Lower Water Street, 2nd Floor
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 1S5
Review of applications will commence on April 9, 2019 with the expected start date for the position being May 1, 2019. Only those candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.