Senior Signals Engineer, Rail Systems Calgary, AB 31/05/2019
WSP in Calgary, AB
WSP is one of the world's leading professional services firms. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
We have over 48,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 8,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're among the LinkedIn Top 25 Companies two years in a row, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects .
At WSP :
- We value our people and our reputation
- We are locally dedicated with international scale
- We are future focused and challenge the status quo
- We foster collaboration in everything we do
- We have an empowering culture and hold ourselves accountable
CALGARY, EDMONTON OR VANCOUVER
In anticipation of future projects, WSP is seeking a Senior Signals Engineer to join our Rail Systems team in Calgary, Edmonton or Vancouver. Reporting to the Manager, Rail Systems Engineering, the Senior Signals Engineer will work collaboratively with a team of Chief Engineers and Specialists across rail systems disciplines (Systems Engineering, Signals, Electrification Systems, Data Communications, and Project Controls), and with Project Managers, Systems Engineers, Signals Engineers, Analysts, and Coordinators. As a senior member of the Rail Systems Engineering team, you will be given opportunities to use your transferrable skills to define processes, create execution plans, mentor the junior team members, and be the technical lead for multiple projects. You will be supported by management to develop work plans and professional skills to become a strong leader in the consulting environment.
- Develop and analyze signal systems for transit and heavy rail in both Communications Based Train Control and traditional relay-based systems. Analysis includes braking calculations, control tables, routes and aspects, schematics, and phasing plans;
- Review and Approve detailed calculations, drawings using AutoCAD or MicroStation, technical specifications, procurement documents, design and installation packages, proposal evaluations, technical reports, cost estimates, detailed analyses, design justifications, and other materials suitable for procurement and construction purposes in rail signalling;
- Perform detailed check of signals and circuit designs by other signalling engineers within the team, or from third-party sources through clients in a consultancy environment;
- Plan and create signalling schemes compliant to industry standards and codes using knowledge of signalling principles, circuits, and components;
- Ensure all signalling design elements conform to all applicable industry codes and standards and client specifications;
- Ensure all design elements are compliant with the relevant Rail Operation Rules;
- Provide valuable leadership to junior staff and mentoring to develop their technical skills;
- Interact with clients to discuss technical topics in a clear and professional manner. Facilitate resolution of customer expectations versus technical issues;
- Work with tight schedules, be flexible, control project budgets, and motivate junior staff;
- Plan and execute project work, based on an understanding of the project scope, schedule, and budget;
- Proposal and Project assignments may include Commuter, Subway, Light Rail, Heavy Rail, Transit Storage and Maintenance Facilitates, Transit Tunnels.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in a related engineering discipline from an accreditied university that is recognized by the provincial governing body of professional engineers;
- Registered Professional Engineer with either P. Eng. or P.E. License OR
- Registered as an Engineer in Training with the provincial governing body of professional engineers;
- PMP certification is favourable;
- Minimum of 15 years of experience in a related engineering field;
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in Rail Systems Engineering or equivalent;
- Experience in a Consulting Engineering environment;
- Experience in signalling design, circuit design, electromechanical relay logic design, communications-based signals design, and grade crossing warning systems design;
- Practical experience of all signalling design in an electrified railway environment, with emphasis on a 2x25 kV overhead contact system is strongly favourable;
- Proven ability to work successfully in multi-disciplinary teams and across different business units;
- Knowledge of signalling principles, train control solutions including CBTC (moving block or fixed block) and PTC, and railway standards such as CENELEC, AREMA and MIL-STD;
- Proficiency in AutoCAD, MicroStation, and / or equivalent CADD software;
- Strong computer skills, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Visio;
- Experience in different Phases of the Engineering Design Life Cycle (Proposal, CDR, PDR, FDR);
- Understanding of Systems and Safety Engineering Concepts, including Design, Verification & Validation, and System Integration is favourable;
- Able to travel internationally to support proposals, projects and Client's needs;
- Strong communication skills, presentation skills, and report writing skills.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.