Senior Systems Engineer, Rail Systems Calgary, AB 31/05/2019
WSP in Calgary, AB
WSP is one of the world's leading professional services firms. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
We have over 48,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 8,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're among the LinkedIn Top 25 Companies two years in a row, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects .
At WSP :
- We value our people and our reputation
- We are locally dedicated with international scale
- We are future focused and challenge the status quo
- We foster collaboration in everything we do
- We have an empowering culture and hold ourselves accountable
CALGARY, EDMONTON OR VANCOUVER
In anticipation of future projects, WSP is seeking a Senior Rail Systems Engineer to join our Rail Systems Engineering department, located at our Calgary, Edmonton or Vancouver offices. Reporting to the Manager, Rail Systems Engineering, the Senior Systems Engineer will work collaboratively with a team of Chief Engineers and Specialists across rail systems disciplines (Systems Engineering, Signals, Electrification Systems, Data Communications, and Project Controls), Project Managers, Systems Engineers, Signals Engineers, Analysts, and Coordinators. As a senior member of the Rail Systems Engineering team, you will be given opportunities to use your transferrable skills to define processes, create execution plans, mentor the junior team members, and be the technical lead for multiple projects. You will be supported by management to develop work plans and professional skills to become a strong leader in the consulting environment.
- Lead design and specification development in one of the following specialties: Systems Integration, SCADA, Communications, Trackwork, Signalling, Systems Assurance (RAM), Safety Assurance, Vehicle and Wayside Interfaces, Traction Power Design, Power Supply and Distribution, System and Train Simulation, Tunnel Constructability, and Fire Ventilation;
- Lead a team to create Project Specific Output Specifications (PSOS) for projects;
- Perform functional analysis, create product breakdown structure, functional block diagrams, and sequence diagrams;
- Ensure Validation and Verification processes are fully defined to ensure all requirements are complete;
- Work with the internal and external test teams to ensure all requirements have full coverage;
- Preparation of detailed calculations, drawings, technical specifications, procurement documents, design and installation packages, proposal evaluations, technical reports, cost estimates, detailed analyses, design justifications, and other materials suitable for procurement and construction purposes in rail;
- Ensure all design elements are compliant with the relevant Rail Operation Rules, all applicable industry codes and standards, and client expectations;
- Provide valuable leadership to junior staff and mentoring to develop their technical skills;
- Interact with clients to discuss technical topics in a clear and professional manner. Facilitate resolution of customer expectations versus technical issues;
- Work with tight schedules, be flexible, control project budgets, and motivate junior staff;
- Plan and execute project work, based on an understanding of the project scope, schedule, and budget;
- Proposal and Project assignments may include Commuter, Subway, Light Rail, Heavy Rail, Transit Storage and Maintenance Facilitates, Transit Tunnels.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in a related engineering discipline from an accredited University;
- Registered Professional Engineer with either P. Eng. or P.E. License in the listed province(s);
- PMP certification is favourable;
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in transit industry;
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in Rail Systems Engineering or equivalent;
- Proven ability to work successfully in multi-disciplinary teams and across different business units;
- Experience in a Consulting Engineering environment;
- Experience in different Phases of the Engineering Design Life Cycle (Proposal, CDR, PDR, FDR);
- Experience in Verification and Validation, and System Integration (test plan, test case, FAT, SAT, Reliability and Availability);
- Experience in identification and management of project risks and understanding of the System Safety Certification processes;
- Hands-on experience using IBM Rational DOORS, including DXL columns and scripts;
- Strong knowledge of signalling principles, train control solutions including CBTC (moving block or fixed block) and PTC, and railway standards such as CENELEC, AREMA and MIL-STD;
- Understanding of Systems Engineering Concepts to extract technical, project, and functional requirements from tender documents, and create system, subsystem, and interface level requirements;
- Strong computer skills, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Visio;
- Able to travel internationally to support proposals, projects and Client's needs;
- Strong communication skills, presentation skills, and report writing skills.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.