WSP in Calgary, AB
WSP is one of the world's leading professional engineering services firms. Every day our more than 48,000 experts work to restore the natural environment and transform the built environment.
In Canada, our 8,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects.
At WSP , we're proud, professional and passionate people, join our team.
WSP is currently seeking a Health and Safety Advisor, located in our Calgary office and reporting into the Director, Prairies region in the Geomatics business line. The successful candidate will primarily be responsible for providing on site health and safety support on the Trans Mountain Pipeline project. In addition, a portion of this role may involve participation in process and program development activities for the health and safety team. The position is on a contract basis with the possibilty of extension.
- Perform a wide range of duties specifically related to Health and Safety and the development, administration and implementation of projects independently or under the supervision and direction of the Project Management Team and the Regional Health and Safety Manager Western Canada
- Responsible for completing assigned health and safety and project related assignments, tasks and/or any other special assignments; this would include reviewing and revising the Project Specific Safety Plan as needed
- Assist with implementing health and safety changes as a result of new instructions from regulatory bodies, as well as any changes related to health and safety through knowledge of industry best practices;
- Provide support when necessary to project managers and field personnel on health and safety topics as needed
- Communicate and work effectively with the client
- Attend project specific meetings and check-in with staff regularly on safe work procedures;
- Undertake regular 'toolbox' training sessions for the project,
- Visit project sites on a regular basis; monitor for compliance with the WSP policies, Provincial/Federal regulations and document compliance;
- Investigate and report on incidents, complaints and other situations as may arise;
- Review job site safety compliance inspections including: hazard analysis, root cause analysis, safe work procedures, write reports and recommendations;
- Follow up on incidents, and develop systemic responses;
- Provide leadership and motivate all employees for strong injury management and timely reporting;
- Ability to provide reports, guidelines, assessments, and other documents that are clear, concise and complete;
- Ability to resolve complex technical issues with other disciplines.
- Degree, diploma or certificate program from a post-secondary and accredited institution in environment, health and safety.
- A professional designation such as (CRSP, CHSO, NCSO or CHSC) would be an asset;
- Minimum of 10+ years of related health and safety experience;
- Knowledge of the OH&S Act, regulations and industry best practices;
- Previous experience with construction project safety
- Self-motivated team player, enthusiastic about health and safety and has ambition to grow professionally
- Excellent communication skills in English (Written and verbal);
- Proficient computer skills and thorough understanding of Microsoft office suite;
- This is a project based position
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.