Intermediate Geotechnical Engineer Ottawa, ON 04/06/2019
WSP in Ottawa, ON
WSP is one of the world's leading professional services firms. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
We have over 48,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 8,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're among the LinkedIn Top 25 Companies two years in a row, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects .
At WSP :
- We value our people and our reputation
- We are locally dedicated with international scale
- We are future focused and challenge the status quo
- We foster collaboration in everything we do
- We have an empowering culture and hold ourselves accountable
Overview of the Opportunity:
At WSP our Geotechnical team is working hard to continue to build and enhance our reputation as one of the country's leading geotechnical team of experts. Our national capital region has grown exponentially over the past few years, and we are continuing to lead in innovation, exciting projects, high-performing teams, and excellent opportunities for our employees. We're currently hiring for an Intermediate Geotechnical Engineer to join our Geotechnical team and to be located at our newly renovated Ottawa office. Reporting to the geotechnical manager , the candidate will be provided with the opportunity to work on some of the most exciting and impactful projects in Canada, and to be a part of a true Canadian success story. Come see for yourself what we can offer.
Why should you choose WSP?
- A Canadian success story - a company that grew from humble roots in Quebec to a global, multinational powerhouse with over 48,000 employees worldwide;
- Impact the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada;
- Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every day to be greater than we were yesterday, for our employees, future employees, and our fellow Canadians, we're open to your ideas and trying new things that will challenge the status quo and raise the bar higher;
- A phenomenal collaborative culture and a forward-thinking workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly important work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
What you can expect to do here:
- You'll be working on one of the most exciting and high profile projects to hit the Canadian landscape in decades, and be part of shaping the future history of an entire region;
- You'll be a key member of a project that can offer high complexity work, and a chance to challenge yourself and what you've learned so far, and an opportunity push your skills to the next level with a team of experienced, collaborative leaders who are the best in the industry;
- You'll be charged with the coordination of a small team of site and office staff;
- You'll be working closely with our partners in construction management, and with our client to oversee the installation, monitoring, moving and decommissioning equipment and instruments;
- You'll have an opportunity to mentor junior staff to advance technical knowledge within the company and to help grow their careers and develop the next generation;
- You'll be preparing and reviewing reports and technical specifications and using your professional judgement independently;
- You'll be interpreting information, completing analysis and report preparation;
- You'll be preparing specifications, site instructions and other documentation;
- You'll be managing communications with clients, contractors and other stakeholders;
- On-going development and modifications of instrumentation and monitoring program and;
- Any other duties as assigned or required.
- You'll bring your experienced as a registered as a Professional Engineer of Ontario (PEO);
- Your bachelor's degree in civil engineering, post-graduate degree in geotechnical or geological engineering;
- Ideally, a solid level of intermediate to senior level experience in geotechnical engineering and geotechnical instrumentation and monitoring (seismographs, inclinometers, extensometers, tilt meters, strain gauges, accelerometers, etc);
- You'll be willing and eager to be mobile and work in a combination of field and office work and will spend a significant amount of time on site in Ottawa with occasional travel as required;
- You'll have a good proficiency with common geotechnical and monitoring software and ideally you'll have some proficiency with wireless systems for instrumentation;
- You have an excellent organizational ability, report writing and verbal communication in English;
- You have the ability to think and act independently, while accepting coaching and guidance;
- You are enthusiastic, resourceful, organized, and detail-oriented;
- You have a knack for working with people and have a sense of urgency to respond and resolve issues that arise;
- You're a professional and are always looking for the most collaborative and productive path forward and;
- You have e xcellent computer and technical writing skills and the ability to work in a fast-paced and multi-tasked environment are essential.
WSP Canada Inc.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.