Design Technician, Highways & Roads Transportation Engineering Red Deer, AB 31/05/2019
WSP in Red Deer, AB
WSP is one of the world's leading professional services firms. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
We have over 48,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 8,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're among the LinkedIn Top 25 Companies two years in a row, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects .
At WSP :
- We value our people and our reputation
- We are locally dedicated with international scale
- We are future focused and challenge the status quo
- We foster collaboration in everything we do
- We have an empowering culture and hold ourselves accountable
RED DEER OR EDMONTON
WSP is currently seeking an Intermediate Design Technician - Highways and Roads to join our Transportation Engineering Department located at either our Edmonton or Red Deer office. Reporting to the department manager this position will be responsible for assisting senior engineering staff in the design and delivery of transportation engineering projects.
- Perform simple to complex highway designs under the supervision of senior designers using Autodesk Civil 3D and/or MicroStation.
- Prepare highway/road engineering design drawings, as-built/record drawings and other drawings, as directed, using AutoCAD or MicroStation.
- Prepare design quantities, cost estimates and provide technical support/engineering expertise to the highway tendering and construction teams throughout the duration of projects.
- Analyze and process topographical survey information for highway/road design and other applications.
- Assist with the preparation of designs pertaining to new or reconstruction/rehabilitation of existing roads as part of resurfacing, restoration or rehabilitation of the existing highway pavements.
- Perform a wide-range of additional duties intended to support your growth and development within a professional engineering environment.
- Mentoring of junior staff may be required.
- Minimum of 3 years of roadway and highway engineering design experience (contract administration and/or inspection experience considered an asset).
- Civil Engineering Technology/ Technician diploma from a recognized community college.
- Knowledgeable in the application of transportation engineering principles and design standards such as Alberta Transportation Design Standards, TAC Geometric Design Guide for Canadian Roads and Alberta Municipalities (MD & Counties) design standards.
- Knowledgeable and proficient in the application of computer aided design programs including AutoCAD and Civil 3D. Ability to work with MicroStation/InRoads would be an asset.
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to generate high quality work.
- Ability to work both individually and as a member of a larger team in a high pace environment.
- Possess good oral and written communication skills.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.
Red Deer, AB