CAD Technologist, Highways & Roads Transportation Engineering
WSP in Red Deer, AB
WSP is one of the world's leading professional engineering services firms. Every day our more than 48,000 experts work to restore the natural environment and transform the built environment.
In Canada, our 8,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects.
At WSP , we're proud, professional and passionate people, join our team.
RED DEER OR EDMONTON
WSP is currently seeking a CAD Technologist - Highways and Roads, to join our Transportation Engineering Department located at either our Edmonton or Red Deer office. Reporting to the department manager, this position will be responsible for assisting senior design staff in the drafting and delivery of transportation engineering projects.
- Process project basemap and survey information including setting up the project basemapping and creation of the existing ground DTM and conversion of project data between various coordinate systems as required.
- Prepare simple to complex preliminary and detailed design drawings including plans, profiles, typical cross-sections, geometrics, drainage and utilities, spot elevations, signage and pavement markings, detours and construction staging.
- Assist junior drafters in the production of engineering drawings, tender drawings, construction drawings, and construction record drawings for highway and roads projects.
- Work closely with engineers, project managers and technical professionals to complete design and working drawings for preliminary, construction and post-construction phases.
- Support tender preparation team by assisting with the computation of design quantities from CAD drawings.
- Ensure highway and road design drawings are accurate and complete, incorporating all pertinent design elements tailored towards ease of understanding by end users, and meeting appropriate design standards.
- Contribute to the cost effective, proper and timely production of transportation engineering drawings that meet all client and approval agency requirements, and design standards.
- Transform concepts and sketches into engineering drawings based on project requirements using AutoCAD / Civil 3D platform, as well as other technical software as needed such as MicroStation / InRoads.
- Communicate and work in an integrated team environment to ensure project schedules, budgets, and quality control standards are achieved and maintained.
- Completion of a Civil Engineering Technology or Engineering Design Drafting technology diploma from a recognized post-secondary institution along with a minimum of 3-5 years practical experience.
- Candidates with lesser experience may be considered.
- Proficient in highway and roads drafting using AutoCAD/Civil3D.
- Experience working in MicroStation / inRoads would be considered a strong asset.
- Familiarity with the drafting requirements of Alberta Transportation, rural and urban municipalities and/or the City of Edmonton is an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team and independently with minimal oversight, take full responsibility for quality and efficiency of CAD work, and coordinate with engineering managers and designers.
- Ability to prioritize schedules and work on several projects at a time with multiple design teams;
- Strong communication skills along with excellent technical, interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- Eligible for membership with ASET is an asset.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.
Red Deer, AB