Intermediate Structural Engineer
WSP in Markham, ON
WSP is one of the world's leading professional engineering services firms. Every day our more than 48,000 experts work to restore the natural environment and transform the built environment.
In Canada, our 8,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects.
At WSP , we're proud, professional and passionate people, join our team.
TORONTO OR MARKHAM
WSP is currently seeking a Structural Engineer to join our Structural Engineering Group, located at either our Toronto or Markham office. Reporting to the Senior Director of the Structural Engineering Department this position will be responsible for working with multi-disciplinary teams to take innovative design solutions from proposals through to constructed projects for clients in a wide variety of Sectors.
- Support one or more department Project Managers on all required design and construction-related structural engineering scope on multiple projects
- Perform engineering calculations and assessments for structures composed of various materials including: Steel, Concrete, Masonry, and Wood;
- Utilize engineering software in the analysis of structural building components
- Manage and coordinate projects with clients and other disciplines;
- Respond to client request for proposals;
- Write technical reports;
- Edit specifications to suit project-specific requirements
- Manage time spent on design tasks to meet established project-specific workplans
- Work closely with BIM staff to coordinate drawing preparation
- Complete engineering assessments;
- Participate in national practice technical initiatives, as required
- Keep detailed records of all work including design calculations and models
- Occasional travel within Canada on occasion for site assessments and site support;
- Potential full or part-time offsite work as a representative of WSP with important clients
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's or Master's Degree in Structural Engineering;
- Registered Professional Engineer with the PEO;
- 5-10 years of experience;
- Working knowledge of all applicable local and national building codes and standards;
- Design experience should be buildings focused and can include some or all of the following: institutional (schools, data centres, prisons), commercial (offices, retail stores, retail, high-rise), residential (low, mid or high-rise condominiums or apartments), transportation (maintenance facilities, transit facilities), health care (hospitals, laboratories, long-term care), and light industrial (low-rise warehouses, distribution centres);
- Should have general working knowledge of other building disciplines;
- A successful candidate will have a solid technical background with proficiency in the major structural software suites used (ETABS, SAFE, and RamSteel) combined with a strong portfolio of design work on buildings projects. Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required.
- Seismic analysis and design experience is an asset;
- Experience working as a sub-consultant to an Architects or Design-Build Contractor;
- Proficiency in Revit would be considered beneficial
- Project management experience an asset;
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.