Service New Brunswick
Pay Band 5
The Technology Services division within Service New Brunswick is seeking individuals who would enjoy a meaningful and rewarding career as Technical Strategist within the Business Application Services Branch in Fredericton.
As a member of the Business Application Services team, you will be responsible for the day-to-day operations of the department's major applications, ensuring that business needs are met; they will set priorities, manage multiple projects and provide technical expertise guided by architectural standards, policies and procedures. You will provide assistance to the Business Application Services team and will prepare and conduct presentations to business owners and external service providers, in order to facilitate improved communications and understanding of technical changes.
Your responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Assisting in the development, implementation, maintenance and support of technical architecture for departmental solutions
- Devising implementation, migration and interface strategies
- Researching developments, techniques and trends in IT and determining relevance for the organization
- Evaluating and recommending appropriate computer platforms, common and utility software, workstations, and communication linkages required to support work processes and information flow
- Coordinating problem resolution with software vendors, hardware manufacturers and/or appropriate in-house personnel and conducting research into current and emerging trends in technical infrastructure solutions
- Advising on matters relating to information technology strategies, as well as application, data and security architecture
- Installing, configuring and supporting middleware technologies
- Supporting and troubleshooting development environments and live production systems
ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS: University degree in Information Technology or a related field and a minimum of five (5) years of related work experience OR a two (2) year related college diploma and seven (7) years of related work experience.
Subject to the response to this competition, an equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered, or the required years of experience may be increased.
Written and spoken competence in English is required.
Applicants must clearly demonstrate the essential qualifications to be given further consideration. Please state your language capability on your application and ensure that preferred language for assessment is clearly identified.
ASSET QUALIFICATIONS: Preference may be given to candidates who demonstrate they have training or experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Active Directory
- Networking and firewall administration
- Server Virtualization
- IT Security
- Experience managing technical projects
- Three-tier application architectures
- Application testing and defect tracking
- Middleware configuration, implementation and administration including: IIS, Apache, Tomcat, JBoss and Weblogic
- Linux experience (bash scripting, administration)
- Database technologies such as Oracle or SQL
- Enterprise reporting systems such as SSRS and Oracle Reports
- Experience maintaining development environments such as Eclipse, CA Gen, Visual Studio/.NET, Reports and TFS
- Java application tuning
Subject to the response to this competition, candidates may be required to demonstrate on their application one or more of the asset qualifications in addition to the essential qualifications in order to be given further consideration.
OPERATIONAL REQUIREMENTS: This position may require some travelling within the province therefore candidates must possess a valid driver's license.
Some weekday evenings and weekend work hours may be required.
Candidates will be required to undergo Criminal History Clearance prior to appointment.
BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES: The successful candidate will possess the following behavioral competencies:
- Analytical Thinking/Judgment
- Client Service Orientation
- Effective Interactive Communication
- Teamwork and Cooperation
TECHNICAL COMPETENCIES: The successful candidate will possess the following technical competencies:
- Specialized Subject Matter Expertise and Knowledge
- Planning and Organizing Skills
- Written Communication
Resumes should be in chronological order specifying education and employment in months and years including part-time and full-time employment.
Salary: $55,406- $77,402 annually - Pay Band 5 - Management and Non-Union Pay Plan
We encourage applicants to apply on-line, by email at HR-RH@snb.ca, or by mail at the following address March 20, 2019 indicating competition number R85-2018/19-90. This competition may be used to fill future vacancies at the same level within the same work location.
Service New Brunswick
P.O. Box 1998
Fredericton, NB E3B 5G4
Telephone: (506) 476-7572
We thank all those who apply, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Candidates registered with the Equal Employment Opportunity Program and veterans, who demonstrate they are among the most qualified, shall be given preference at the time of appointment.
We promote a scent-reduced environment.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The New Brunswick Public Service: Improving the lives of New Brunswickers every day!