Opportunities Chief Engineer - Harbour Coastal
Atlantic Towing Limited in Dartmouth, NS
CHIEF ENGINEER - COASTAL TUG
Atlantic Towing Limited is a well-established Marine Company with a diverse fleet of Harbour, Coastal/Deep Sea Tugs, as well as, Offshore Supply Vessels with locations in Saint John, New Brunswick, Halifax, Nova Scotia and St. John's, Newfoundland.
We are currently accepting applications for a Chief Engineer position with our Coastal Vessels in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick
- Education Required:
- 2nd or 3rd Class Motor Certificate of Competency (2nd Class would be considered an asset)
- Marine Emergency Duties (including refresher training)
- Transport Canada Marine Medical
- Marine First Aid and CPR
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods Certificate (TDG)
- Years of Experience Required: 4-7 years of experience as Chief Engineer
- Ensure that proper engine room watchkeeping arrangements are in place and, where applicable, appropriate Standing Orders and Night Orders for the type of vessel and operation are developed
- Ensure that the vessel's maintenance program is implemented and maintained in accordance with applicable regulations, manufacturer specifications, company policies and good engineering practices and relevant records properly maintained
- Monitor performance, maintenance and repair of all machinery and electrical equipment, including:
- Main Engines and Auxiliary Machinery
- Steering Gear
- Oily Water Separator
- Sewage Treatment Plant
- Refrigeration Machinery
- Deck machinery (i.e. winches, cranes, davits, capstans, windlasses, etc.)
- Other equipment as fitted, as well as the vessel's structure with respect to hull and bulkhead, corrosion and leaks
- Monitor the survey status of the vessel's machinery and maintain a current file of the vessel's class machinery survey reports
- Distribute work assignments, supervision, training, familiarization, and conduct performance appraisals of engine room personnel
- Supervision of any work of a hazardous nature, ensuring that all safety procedures are followed (i.e. Safe Work Permit, Confined Space Entry, Lockout/Tag Out, Job Safety Analysis, etc.)
- Inform the Master of any machinery damage affecting the seaworthiness of the vessel, engine revolutions, possible delay or need for outside assistance in effecting repair - emergency or urgently needed repairs are to be requested immediately
- Review and sign-off the engine room Logbook, ensuring that all required information is entered and kept up-to-date
- Ensure that the vessel's official documents and in particular the Oil Record Book is maintained properly and up-to-date
- Ensure at all times that sufficient bunkers, lubricating oils and water are carried on board for the completion of the voyage, or particular task
- Ensure that adequate engine room stores, supplies and spare parts are available on board for the intended voyage and according to classification society standards
- At the specified intervals, prepare and submit to the office the necessary management and performance reports, i.e. Change of Command, Fuel Reports, etc.
- Contribute to ATL's Safety culture by:
- Understand and comply with various safety processes within the Safety Management System
- Possess the skills to perform job related tasks and apply safe practices while performing physical tasks.
- Have a thorough understanding of precautions and procedures related to the Safety Management System
- Have thorough understanding of pollution regulations and the company's objectives regarding environmental protection
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please apply online
We appreciate your interest in our company! The initial review of applications will begin on the deadline date for applying. Applications received after the deadline may not be considered. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Atlantic Towing Limited is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.