Vice President, National Leader - Water & Wastewater
WSP in Thornhill, ON
Vice President, National Leader - Water & Wastewater
Business Line Infrastructure
ID # 9262
Job Type Permanent - Full Time
In Canada, more than 8,000 of our people foster innovation every day because we know that our future world will be vastly different from today. Our reach includes environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transport networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources. Through our Future Ready initiative, we bring clarity and vision to some of Canada's most complex challenges and opportunities.
The excellence we bring to our work and to work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Corporate Knights' Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned ReNew Canada's Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects . In 2018, LinkedIn ranked us number 7 on their Top Companies list .
At WSP , we see the future more clearly and design for it today - we put innovation, and the highest ethical standards and professionalism at the centre of all we do. Find out what we have to offer.
At WSP Canada, we see the Water & Wastewater business sector as one with tremendous potential for our business in Canada. To lead this important strategic initiative WSP Canada is seeking a Vice President, National Leader - Water & Wastewater to join our Infrastructure Business Line. This newly created role will report to the Senior Vice President - Operations, Infrastructure. The incumbent will be responsible to lead the growth of a national practice for the Water & Wastewater business line sector and provide leadership and strategic direction to the national team. The role is responsible for optimizing the client services, people, project delivery, quality, safety and financial performance of the business sector. The role will ensure coordination of efforts across regions and other business line sectors, and develop strategic plans, programs and organizational objectives to grow the business and ensure client satisfaction.
- Lead and oversee the implementation of the strategic growth plan and its objectives for the business sector.
- Deliver business sector growth and business development strategy in collaboration with the business line leaders, sector managers and regional managers.
- Provide leadership by communicating the strategy and engaging all business sector employees in achieving the objectives of the business sector.
- Serve as WSP's industry leader in Water & Wastewater and proactively develop key relationships within the industry.
- Build relationships with key clients, industry organizations, teaming partners, and stakeholders to identify opportunities to grow the business.
- Attract, develop and retain team members to execute on the business sector's strategy and strengthen the WSP brand and performance.
- Optimize the performance of the business sector's financials, including net revenue, operating margin and DSO.
- Forecast the business sector's financial performance, ensure accurate budgeting, revenue recognition and preparation of monthly/quarterly/annual forecasts.
- Collaborate with peers nationally and globally to leverage technical expertise, ensure client satisfaction and implement best practices.
- Consider opportunities and trends to determine key business sector investment priorities and capture strategies for key pursuits.
- Define commercial terms and mitigate risks during the pursuit process.
- Enable client coordination and cross-selling efforts across all WSP business lines in coordination with business line and market sector leaders.
- Provide guidance and direction to business sector leaders to ensure operational, technical and project delivery excellence.
- Responsible for managing and developing employees in accordance with WSP core values, the performance management program and the job architecture and job family structure.
- Ensure that WSP programs of safety and ethics and compliance are an overriding part of the organizational culture.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, science, or other technical discipline.
- Minimum 20 years of experience managing in the engineering or related sector, with at least 10 years of leadership experience at a senior level.
- Effective people leadership capabilities with a demonstrated ability to create a high performance environment, empowering teams to identify and solve problems, create strong brand identity and hold teams accountable for meeting their collective goals.
- Demonstrated ability to strategically address growth opportunities, articulate evolving priorities in the market and balance good judgment with informed risk taking.
- A proven track record of business development with existing and new clients, as well as experience engaging with municipal, provincial, and federal agencies, and the private sector.
- Seen as a credible leader in the industry with high integrity.
- A strong and sustained history of delivering quality financial performance and results.
- Highly professional with strong written and oral communication skills.
- The ability to successfully lead with little direction to meet organizational goals.
- Confidence to influence a high caliber team to drive a business to higher performance levels and seize the opportunities that the market presents.
- Advanced people and leadership skills to effectively manage relationships which may be indirect in order to achieve consensus, direction and achievement of results.
- A champion of technical innovation, knowledge management and sharing.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
To learn more about our firm and the projects we have been involved in, please visit our World of Possibilities microsite.
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.