CAD Technologist, Highways & Roads Transportation Engineering
WSP in Calgary, AB
WSP is one of the world's leading professional engineering services firms. Every day our more than 48,000 experts work to restore the natural environment and transform the built environment.
In Canada, our 8,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects.
At WSP , we're proud, professional and passionate people, join our team.
WSP is currently seeking a CAD Technologist, to join our Highways & Roads Transportation Engineering department, located at our Calgary office. Reporting to the Manager, this position will be responsible for preliminary and detailed design of highways and roads, CADD drawing preparation, checking of drafting and drawings, preparation of specifications, and other related activities.
Responsibilities will include drafting of urban & rural roads & highways, drafting guidance to other team members, as well as a wide range of project requirements including but not limited to:
- Technical analysis and drafting;
- Support report preparation;
- Support cost estimating;
- Preparation and review of drawings;
- Contract specifications / documentation;
- Contract administration service;
- Liaison with all discipline members, sub-consultants, clients, and agencies; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree in civil engineering from an accredited university, or Technologist from an accredited college;
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience;
- Project experience using AutoCAD, Civil 3D and Inroads;
- Experience with all aspects of highway / freeway / roads design (e.g. alignments, geometrics, staging, utilities, roadside safety, documents, constructability);
- Ability to work with various software packages (i.e. AutoCAD, Civil 3D, Inroads, Microstation, Microsoft Office);
- Ability to estimate level of effort, meet milestone schedule deliverables, etc.;
- Understanding of traffic engineering principles;
- Ability to communicate with a wide range of sub-consultants;
- General understanding of other road design requirements (e.g. drainage / hydraulic design, environmental design / mitigation measures, engineering surveys, geotechnical investigations and design);
- General understanding of QA / QC as well as OH&S practices / requirements;
- Familiarity with Alberta's regulatory environment and experience with approval processes is an asset;
- Self-starter, self-directed working style; and
- Strong communication and organization skills.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.