Hazardous Material Technician
WSP in Victoria, BC
WSP is one of the world's leading professional engineering services firms. Every day our more than 48,000 experts work to restore the natural environment and transform the built environment.
In Canada, our 8,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects.
At WSP , we're proud, professional and passionate people, join our team.
WSP is currently seeking a Hazardous Materials Technicians to join our Environmental Management department in our Victoria office.
Why choose WSP?
- A Canadian success story - a company that grew from humble roots in Quebec to a global, multinational powerhouse with over 45,000 employees worldwide;
- Impact the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada;
- Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every single day to be greater than we were yesterday, for our employees, future employees, and our fellow Canadians, we're open to your ideas and trying new things that will challenge the status quo and raise the bar higher;
- A phenomenal collaborative culture and a forward-thinking workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly meaningful work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
About this opportunity
You will complete environmental field investigations including building assessment for hazardous materials and designated substances (including asbestos), mould investigations, and abatement monitoring.
- Do you love working on a wide variety of projects, tasks and assignments, responding easily to changing priorities?
- Do you like to run field investigations?
- Are you a passionate engineer interested in working on challenging, dynamic, and diverse projects in a global company?
- Do you want to influence and guide and coordinate with various internal disciplines to ensure the successful completion of state of the art projects?
- Are you passionate about growth opportunities and exposure to leading practices within a growing, global multinational firm?
What you can expect:
- Building surveys for asbestos, mould, lead, mercury and other designated substances and hazardous materials;
- We provide Inspection services related to hazardous materials (including asbestos and mould) abatement to ensure the contractor is conducting work in accordance with applicable industry standards and legislation;
- Technical report writing based on comprehensive field notes collected on site;
- We will entrust you to carry out assignments with minimal supervision;
- We will supply with the tools and equipment to conducting field investigations but will also be expected to review laboratory results;
- Ensure health and safety policies are followed at all sites;
- Other duties as assigned.
What you'll bring to WSP:
- You have completed a college diploma or university degree in occupational hygiene, environmental science or engineering;
- You are proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) applications;
- You have strong verbal communication skills
- Previous experience with Hazardous Materials - in particular asbestos.
- You have a keen eye for detail, including documentation;
- Your Enthusiasm, inventiveness, and detail oriented. You demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills and can communicate effectively and you respond to time-sensitive issues;
- We need someone who is self-motivated, enjoys working independently, but also able to work in a team environment;
- You have an ability to think logically and bring practical solutions to field challenges;
- Willingness to work evenings and/or weekends as required for project work;
WSP Canada Inc.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.