J.D. Irving, Limited - Sawmill Division in Deersdale, NB
SEASONAL SILVICULTURE WORKER (April 22, 2019 - October 20, 2019)
Business Information: At J.D. Irving, Limited, you are part of an energetic team of professionals who lead with integrity and are passionate about achieving results. With a culture that nurtures talent and creates an inclusive workplace, you can grow your career across our diverse operating divisions.
Founded in 1882 , J. D. Irving, Limited is a large diversified enterprise based in Saint John, New Brunswick with a team of over 16,000 (FTE) in Canada, the United States, and select international jurisdictions. Our operations span the forestry, transportation, retail, shipbuilding, food & agriculture, consumer products, and construction industries.
Business Address: J.D. Irving, Limited - Woodlands Division is currently seeking candidates for temporary seasonal Silviculture Worker positions for 2 locations - 5120 Route 107, Deersdale, NB and 48 Chemin Grande Riviere, Saint-Leonard, NB. The workers will go to these locations interchangeably depending on workload.
Location of work: Same as stated above
Type of employment: Full Time-Seasonal
Estimated start date: April 22nd, 2019 This is a seasonal position from April 22nd, 2019 - October 20th, 2019 (6 months)
- Assess site, select seedlings and plant trees using manual planting tools in reforestation areas
- Operate power thinning saw to thin and space trees in reforestation areas
- Dig trenches, cut trees, pump water on burning areas to fight forest fires under direction of fire suppression officer or forestry technician
- Perform other silviculture duties such as collecting seed cones, pruning trees, assisting in planting surveys and marking trees for subsequent operations.
- No education or experience required
- Hardworking with a strong work ethic
- Willing to work in a production-based environment
- Willing to live in remote areas in provided housing (with meals etc)
- Ability to work alone and in a team environment with a variety of people
- Interest in working outdoors
- Ability to learn and retain information quickly
Work Conditions and Physical Conditions:
- Handling heavy loads
- Physically demanding
- Bending, crouching, kneeling
- Outdoor work all day
- Temperatures can vary from 0 to 30 degrees
- Insects (mosquitoes, bees, wasps) and wildlife around the site
- JDI Staff will be onsite and available to help ensure workers understand job safety procedures are followed
Wages : Average hourly rate of $20.00-$22.00 per hour or greater depending on production and associated production piece rates. 40-45 hours per week.
- Accommodations provided at no charge: Room with camp laundry, bathroom facilities, kitchen and recreation room
- Food available (3 meals a day)
- Transportation to and from job site is provided by JDI employees or contracted transportation services
- Travel expenses provided if candidates are willing to relocate
- Production bonus for reaching 135,000 trees planted (5%) on total earnings for planting
- Provided gear like harnesses, tools, thinning saws, hard hats, ear and eye protection, and first aid kits
Language of Work : English or French
Job Schedule: Job hours require flexibility on a daily basis: 7am - 4:30 pm, Monday - Friday. Saturday work possible. Weather and production impacts work schedule. Workers are expected to reach minimum production levels, which impact number of work hours.
Contact - Leanne Carson, HR Manager.
To Apply for this Career Opportunity: email@example.com or online.
We appreciate your interest in our company!
J.D. Irving, Limited, Woodlands Division is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.