Intermediate Structural Engineer
WSP in Ottawa, ON
Intermediate Structural Engineer
Department Buildings - Structures
ID # 9254
Job Type Permanent - Full Time
In Canada, more than 8,000 of our people foster innovation every day because we know that our future world will be vastly different from today. Our reach includes environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transport networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources. Through our Future Ready initiative, we bring clarity and vision to some of Canada's most complex challenges and opportunities.
The excellence we bring to our work and workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Corporate Knights' Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned ReNew Canada's Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects . In 2018, LinkedIn ranked us number 7 on their Top Companies list .
At WSP , we see the future more clearly and design for it today - we put innovation, and the highest ethical standards and professionalism at the centre of all we do. Find out what we have to offer.
WSP is currently seeking a Structural Engineer to join our Structural Engineering Group, located at our Ottawa office. Working with the Structural Engineering Department Manager this position will be responsible for working with a multi-disciplinary team on the Centre-Block Rehabiitation Project
- Respond to Client Request for Proposals; lead and oversee projects with clients and other disciplines;
- Plan, execute and control the project through all phases from initial feasibility through preliminary design/definition, detailed design, construction;
- Successfully leads project performance (technical performance and/or production organization, on internal or external projects) with direct responsibility for service delivery and/or technical quality to the client;
- Supervises project team and overall project progress and performance and provide mentorship to junior engineers and technical staff assigned to a common task. Checks work of assigned staff, suppliers and contractors for accuracy and conformance with standards. Provides performance information to Team Manager as required;
- Solves problems by use of combinations of standard procedures, or methods developed in previous assignments;
- Uses initiative and discernment to resolve problems, interprets engineering specifications, investigates design and field engineering difficulties and coordinates work schedules;
- You will consistently meet agreed targets and standards. Makes effective decisions to direct project activities or Practice processes and other initiatives;
- Develops and maintains client relationships effectively and responsible for positive project budget performance;
- Complete Engineering Assessments, Write Technical Reports and Perform Engineering Calculations and Assessments for Steel, Concrete, Masonry, and Wood structures;
- Occasional travel within Canada on occasion for Site Assessments and Site Support;
You will be based in our newly renovated office offering numerous amenities, a beautiful rooftop patio, several kitchenettes on all three floors, a volleyball court, covered bike rack, showers. Your workstation will consist of dual-monitors and sit-stand desk, lots of meeting and phone rooms. You can keep fit anytime by walking to the local gym less than 100 meters away"using your WSP discount". You will have access to a flexible schedule and work-life balance so you don't waste your time in traffic.
- Registered Professional Engineer with the PEO;
- Your 3 plus years of experience make you confident in leading projects
- Thorough familiarity with all applicable codes and standards with tried Project Management experience;
- You design new builds and renovation projects for a diverse type of structures including Institutional (schools, data centres, prisons), Commercial (offices, retail stores, retail), Residential (low-rise multi-family), Transportation (maintenance facilities, transit facilities), Health Care (hospitals, laboratories), and Light Industrial is required;
- You love analysis and enjoy seismic analysis and design
- You have experience as a prime consultant as well as a sub-consultant working with Architects desirable;
- Your general knowledge of other building disciplines is an asset;
- You are Proficient in Etabs, safe, and RamSteel an asset mixed with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon applicants being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
To learn more about our firm and the projects we have been involved in, please visit our World of Possibilities microsite.
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for a taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the applicants selected will be contacted.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.