Air Quality Specialist - Intermediate
WSP in Vancouver, BC
WSP is one of the world's leading professional engineering services firms. Every day our more than 48,000 experts work to restore the natural environment and transform the built environment.
In Canada, our 8,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects.
At WSP , we're proud, professional and passionate people, join our team.
Why choose WSP?
- A Canadian success story - a company that grew from humble roots in Quebec to a global, multinational powerhouse with over 45,000 employees worldwide;
- Impact the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada;
- Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every single day to be greater than we were yesterday, for our employees, future employees, and our fellow Canadians, we're open to your ideas and trying new things that will challenge the status quo and raise the bar higher;
- A phenomenal collaborative culture and a forward-thinking workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly meaningful work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
- Are you a passionate engineer or scientist interested in working on challenging, dynamic, and diverse projects in a global company?
- Do you want to influence and guide and coordinate with various internal disciplines to ensure the successful completion of state of the art projects?
- Are you passionate about growth opportunities and exposure to leading practices within a growing, global multinational firm?
What you can expect:
The scope of project management and technical work could include a mix of activities, such as:
- Conducting air quality assessment projects from large industrial complexes and regional airsheds to small oil and gas or commercial emission sources, in support of regulatory approvals environmental impact assessments or special studies.
- Preparing reports and applications for submission to regulatory authorities on behalf of Company clients.
- Assisting or leading comprehensive environmental impact assessments or special studies, plans, research projects related to air quality issues for various government or industrial clients.
- Meteorological and air quality data analysis for use in air quality studies;
- Assessment of the impacts of pollutant emissions on ambient air quality using routine and advanced dispersion models judged to be most appropriate to given situations (i.e. CALPUFF, AERMOD, CALINE, CMAQ, etc.);
- Quantification of emissions for emissions inventory and modelling applications;
- Development of processing tools related to air quality data analysis, visualization and automation of processes;
- Scoping and analysis of air quality issues, assessment of air quality impacts, and recommendation of monitoring and mitigation programs;
- Managing projects, including: proposal writing, project planning, budgeting, staffing, status reporting, delivery, peer review, invoicing and closeout.
- Developing and maintaining business relationships with clients consistent with the company's objectives.
- Identifying project opportunities and prepare proposals for projects, including estimating the time required and resources, etc.
- It would be expected that, in addition to a strong technical background, that the candidate has experience and would be capable in managing mid-size projects, budgets and project teams.
What you'll bring to WSP:
- An intermediate level of experience in air quality with increasing levels of technical and project management responsibilities. Preference will be given to those with previous experience in consulting.
- Strong computer skills (GIS, Linux OS, R, Python, Fortran, MySQL, PHP, etc.)
- Familiarity and working understanding of regional, provincial and national air quality regulations
- Experience with noise modelling and assessment would be an asset
- Work well in a multidisciplinary environment, and respond well to the technical challenges within set time constraints
- Exemplary interpersonal skills with team members and clients
- A "can do" attitude, a strong interest in a career in consulting and able to work in a team environment
- Good initiative, attention to detail
- Strong verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Good organizational skills, fast learner
- Reputation for meeting or exceeding expectations
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.