Project Accountant - Contract
WSP in Thornhill, ON
WSP is one of the world's leading professional engineering services firms. Every day our more than 48,000 experts work to restore the natural environment and transform the built environment.
In Canada, our 8,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects.
At WSP , we're proud, professional and passionate people, join our team.
WSP is currently seeking a Project Accountant/Financial Analyst to join our Finance department, located at our Thornhill office for a temporary mandate. Reporting to the Controller this position will be responsible for project accounting support and financial analysis of our Transportation projects in the GTA.
Why choose WSP?
A Canadian success story - a company that grew from humble roots in Quebec to a global, multinational powerhouse with over 48,000 employees worldwide;
Impact the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada;
Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every day to be greater than we were yesterday, for our employees, future employees, and our fellow Canadians, we're open to your ideas and trying new things that will challenge the status quo and raise the bar higher;
A phenomenal collaborative culture and a forward-thinking workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly important work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
About the WSP Thornhill office :
Close to the 404 and 407 highways, the Thornhill office offers free parking, an on-site cafeteria and a light-filled common area with games and an outdoor patio. We have a Social Committee and are conveniently nearby to grocery stores, LCBO, an LA Fitness and a Goodlife gym. The building is a LEED certified space with modern polished concrete floors, glass walls, and natural wood finishes.
What you can expect to do:
- Update, maintain and report on project budgets and forecasts on a regular basis;
- Analyze project budget variances and performance indexing;
- Develop, update, maintain and report on project cash flows;
- Complete project budget financial reconciliation;
- Review monthly invoices and change orders and reconcile against project budget;
- Prepare monthly reconciliation and report on project holdback and project recovery status;
- Work with an independent audit firm for financial system and budget audits;
- Produce monthly project financial reports;
- Assist in preliminary dispute analysis and data gathering;
- Assist in the capitalization of assets that meets IFRS standards;
- Assist project controls in development of ad-hoc financial reports;
- Responsible for contingency reconciliation against change orders and budgets;
- Respond to and assist in meeting information and analysis requests from the Transportation business unit; and
- Other duties as assigned/required.
What you'll bring to WSP:
- Post-secondary education from an accredited university or college in accounting or finance;
- Accounting designation or working towards a designation;
- 3+ years' financial analyst/project accounting experience in the engineering consulting or construction industry;
- Availability to work on a temporary contract;
- Previous experience in project accounting and financial analysis;
- Good communication and documentation skills with excellent interpersonal skills;
- Conscientious worker, who can work independently or in a team setting with minimal supervision; and
- Must be able to prioritize workload and work with deadlines on short notice.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for those taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only those selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.