Chief Engineer - Telecommunications, Rail Systems Engineering Vancouver, BC 04/06/2019
WSP in Vancouver, BC
WSP is one of the world's leading professional services firms. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
We have over 48,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 8,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're among the LinkedIn Top 25 Companies two years in a row, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects .
At WSP :
- We value our people and our reputation
- We are locally dedicated with international scale
- We are future focused and challenge the status quo
- We foster collaboration in everything we do
- We have an empowering culture and hold ourselves accountable
WSP is currently seeking a Chief Engineer, Telecommunications, to join our Rail Systems Engineering team, located at our Vancouver office. Reporting to the Director, Rail Systems Engineering, this position will lead and manage the telecommunications design for transit and railway projects and will ensure that the design is compliant with the relevant specifications and standards. The Chief Engineer will support the company's consulting business by identifying potential markets, advise of public & private projects, and alignment of projects & practices with WSP's rail practice and strategy and plan.
- Function as the senior technical resource in formulating, developing advanced concepts, techniques, and standards in communication and integration control engineering area;
- Liaise with clients to develop and execute the data communications deliverables, including conceptual design, communications systems architecture, detailed design, and communications system requirements and specifications;
- Lead and manage a team of engineers and technicians;
- Provide a senior level of communication design effort in support of the transit project and other railway projects;
- Lead the development and design of the data communications and SCADA systems;
- Develop communication and radio systems design including Radio/ DCS/ Fibre Backbone Network and interfaces with CCTV/ PA/ PIS/ Telephone/ Fare Collection/ SCADA, etc.;
- Produce communication systems design reports, drawings, and specifications;
- Be responsible for the communications system technical reviews of designs submissions and response to RFIs;
- Other duties as assigned/required.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent in an Engineering or Science related discipline from an accredited university;
- Graduate Degree in an Engineering or Science related discipline from an accredited university is an asset;
- Registered Professional Engineer with either P.Eng. or P.E. License is an asset;
- Minimum 15 years relevant experience in the transit industry;
- Excellent design abilities in railway related communication and proven knowledge and extensive experience in system engineering;
- Significant experience with transit and rail communication and radio systems;
- Knowledge of passenger railroad / transit operations;
- Familiarity with the CBTC based signalling systems and driverless train control is essential;
- Experienced in the design and/or integration of train control systems into transit facilities and vehicles;
- Understanding of relevant Standards (CENELEC, AREMA, IEEE, MIL-STD, etc.);
- Proven leadership and management skills;
- Critical attention to specification detail and project deadline;
- Ability to adapt well to change in direction and priorities in a project and deadline-oriented environment;
- Ability to work successfully in multi-disciplinary teams and across different business units in a matrix organization with little to no supervision;
- Excellent soft skills individual including communication, interpersonal, presentation, leadership and report writing proficiency with a strong desire and ability to collaborate in problem solving in an integrated team environment.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.