Director of Finance, Geomatics
WSP in Calgary, AB
Director of Finance, Geomatics
Department Corporate - Finance
ID # 11109
Job Type Permanent - Full Time
THORNHILL, ON or CALGARY, AB
WSP is one of the world's leading professional engineering services firms. Every day our more than 48,000 experts work to restore the natural environment and transform the built environment.
In Canada, our 8000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transport networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects .
At WSP , we're proud, professional and passionate people. Join us.
Why choose WSP?
- A Canadian success story - a company that grew from humble roots in Quebec to a global, multinational powerhouse with over 48,000 employees worldwide;
- Impact the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada;
- Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every day to be greater than we were yesterday, for our employees, future employees, and our fellow Canadians, we're open to your ideas and trying new things that will challenge the status quo and raise the bar higher;
- A phenomenal collaborative culture and a forward-thinking workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly important work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
WSP currently has an opportunity available for an experienced Finance Director to join our national finance team to provide financial controlling support to our Geomatics business line. The business line is national in Canada and currently has approximately 500 employees and close to $75M in gross revenues. Reporting to the CFO and working closely with the business line leaders, as the Finance Director you'll be responsible to drive strategy, performance, reporting and forecasting.
What you can expect to do:
- Working effectively with a dedicated group of professional finance staff, liaise with other functional team members and provide leadership for a team of Market sector controllers and Project Accountants to oversee operational finance;
- Take an ownership role with the operational leadership team in managing the P&L and specific Balance Sheet accounts while leading the monthly forecasting, annual budgeting and strategic planning processes;
- Coordinate with Business Line in developing and implementing strategies to achieve operating objectives;
- Drive appropriate cost structure, utilization optimization, and capital efficiency. Manage and closely monitor the business line A/R and billings and takes action to improve DSO.
- Continuously drive and follow-up on utilization, project cost budgets, JV arrangements and profitability
- Have ownership over the implementation and compliance with revenue recognition policies and standards in accordance with IFRS;
- Manage, monitor and challenge financial performance throughout the month and during the month end close process to achieve KPI metrics established for net revenue, multiplier, utilization, overhead spending, etc.;
- Provide accurate forecasts as required and communicate goals for the business unit in achieving the financial metrics;
- Maintain appropriate accounting reserves and monitor specific metrics related to earnings, cash, pipeline, stats and others to help efficiently run the business;
- Understand the sources of revenue and Business Development activity that is ongoing and provide financial assistance as required to support operations in winning new work and converting awarded pursuits;
- Analyze order pipeline data and provide accurate forecasts of accessibility of backlog for both gross and net revenue. Take ownership in properly maintaining the contracted soft and hard backlog, closing out projects as appropriate;
- Understand cash management activities and coordinate with operations in establishing and updating goals for DSO, cash collections and billings; Train staff in the business on effective working capital practices and instill a culture of cash;
- Work with operations on driving favourable commercial terms on contracts;
- Monitor discretionary costs and makes recommendations to gain efficiency and effectiveness;
- Assist in managing indirect labour costs and utilization-identify and communicate areas of opportunity;
- Create a motivational work environment for team members that fosters responsibility and accountability, and acknowledge performance and achievements which is a critical aspect of the role;
- Directly participate in major project reviews and ensure proper financial support for project cost estimates to complete, appropriately challenging and knowledgeable on project risks, cost to come and contingencies; assist in developing mitigation plans of the impact to financial performance;
- Implement internal controls ensuring that company policy and risk management procedures are understood and executed;
- Identify risks and opportunities in the Business Line and develop plans to manage them;
- Identify and communicate commercial and financial risks and opportunities from business propositions;
- Participate in and support risk review procedures and processes in line with country and global policies and standards to minimize commercial and financial risks and exposures;
- Ensures high quality of all reporting and business information of business line;
- Other duties as assigned/required.
What you'll bring to WSP:
- Degree in Accounting or Business Administration; with experience in Percentage of Completion and Time & Material revenue recognition methods
- Advanced knowledge using Excel, PowerPoint and other Microsoft Office products;
- Experience in a small field projects and professional service environment
- Problem solver, results orientated with exceptional ability to execute;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to motivate and drive people in the organization.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting/Finance or Business related 15 years' experience in the area of business, finance, operational controlling and/or accounting
- 5 years of experience in a similar role
- Strong financial manager, structured and results oriented leader with strong analytical and operational controlling skills.
- Business oriented mindset to support business development
- Strong Microsoft Office/computer skills and
- Travel required.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.