Designer, EIT - Planning
WSP in Oakville, ON
Designer, EIT - Planning
Department Transportation - Planning
ID # 11208
Job Type Permanent - Full Time
WSP is one of the world's leading professional engineering services firms. Every day our more than 42,000 experts work to restore the natural environment and transform the built environment.
In Canada, our 8000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transport networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects .
At WSP , we're proud, professional and passionate people. Join us.
WSP is currently seeking a Transportation Planner / Junior Engineer to join our Transportation Planning department in our Oakville office. This position will be involved in a broad range of transportation planning and traffic engineering projects. Reporting to a Senior Project Manager, the successful candidate will be responsible for working on projects for municipal and provincial government focusing on a range of environmental assessment studies, transportation master plans, preliminary design, functional design / feasibility studies, traffic analyses, as well as multi-modal planning projects including transit and active transportation.
- Working with a team of transportation engineers, planners and designers to assess transportation conditions and needs;
- Analyzing and reviewing transportation data, land use information, relevant planning policies and background planning documents;
- Applying best practice engineering principles and undertaking engineering calculations, analyses and studies as required for the design and implementation of transportation and transit projects;
- Preparation of roadway and other drawing details using AutoCAD;
- Liaising with project team members (multi-disciplinary team), clients, stakeholders and the public;
- Preparing for, attending and participating in client meetings;
- Preparing for and participating in public and stakeholder consultation and engagement activities;
- Preparation of graphics, technical memos, and reports to communicate technical results and recommendations;
- Preparing transportation infrastructure inventories including occasional site visits;
- Other duties as assigned/required.
- Minimum Undergraduate Degree in Civil Engineering, Transportation Engineering or Planning from an accredited university;
- Be eligible to be a Professional Engineer in Ontario (PEO), or Registered Professional Planner from Ontario Professional Planning Institute;
- Ability to work in team environment and perform duties with minimal supervision;
- 2-5 years of previous experience in transportation planning is desirable;
- Experience in the use of Microsoft Office and AutoCAD;
- Knowledge of the MTO, TAC, and OTM design procedures/ guidelines and standards;
- Knowledge of traffic software, graphic software and ArcGIS would be considered an asset;
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, including the ability to prepare and present technical reports, research and analysis;
- Exposure to field work such as site visits;
- Valid Ontario driver's license.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for those taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only those selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.