Electrical Engineer, Infrastructure Facilities
WSP in Thornhill, ON
WSP is one of the world's leading professional engineering services firms. Every day our more than 48,000 experts work to restore the natural environment and transform the built environment.
In Canada, our 8,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects.
At WSP , we're proud, professional and passionate people, join our team.
WSP is currently seeking an Electrical Engineer to join our Infrastructure Facilities team, located at our Thornhill office. Reporting to the Manager this position will be responsible for the d esign of power distribution systems, including substations, emergency power generators and UPS, transformers, metering, primary and secondary switchgears, switchboards, distribution panels, MCCs, motor controls, VFDs and soft starters .
- Design of building services and life safety systems, including lighting and controls, PA and intercom, CCTV, security, and fire alarm systems.
- Preparation of technical memorandum, reports and electrical specifications.
- Attendance to various stage project meetings involving clients, consultants and contractors.
- Coordination with local utilities for power and telecommunication services.
- Coordination with equipment manufacturers and suppliers to obtain all necessary design data and incorporate into the design drawings and specifications.
- Providing construction services including shop drawing review, RFI response, RFQ and change order review, supervision of testing and commissioning, and site inspection.
- Providing technical support to the project managers.
- Preparation of engineering analysis including design considerations and calculations, arc flash and protection coordination, life cycle and construction cost estimate, and equipment selection.
- Conducting site surveys to gather field data and site inspections for condition assessment.
- Management on project issues, budgets, and schedules;
- Review of design documents for compliance with adopted engineering standards and good engineering practices;
- Coordination of the activities for the design and construction teams;
- Mentoring and training for junior staff;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent
- Minimum of 5-10 years of relevant experience in the design projects in Ontario and Canada
- Hold a valid Professional Engineers License from PEO
- Familiarity with relevant codes and standards including OESC, OBC, IEEE, ASHRAE, CSA and OHSA.
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD, Micro Station, and Revit and experience for municipal infrastructure projects will be definite asset.
- Proven track record in project management and delivery
- Excellent judgement, well-developed analytical and problem-solving skills and strong interpersonal, verbal communication and technical report writing skills.
- Strong sense of leadership, able to work under pressure and have a sense of urgency
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.