WSP in Ottawa, ON
Department Environment - Contaminated Land and ESA
ID # 11140
Job Type Permanent - Full Time
Environmental Engineer - Geoscientist
WSP is currently seeking an intermediate level Environmental Engineer or Geoscientist to join our Environmental group, located at our Ottawa office. Reporting to the Environment Director this position will be responsible for planning, organizing and managing environmental site assessments, completing fieldwork when required, reviewing and analyzing data, and conducting reporting for environmental studies.
- Completing, or directing, background documentation reviews, field investigations, data analysis, and preparing reports to document findings;
- Completing, or directing, field investigations including soil, groundwater, sediment and surface water sampling, overseeing drilling or excavation contractors, surveying, coordinator of sample analysis with laboratories;
- Remediation oversight and environmental monitoring for impacts during construction;
- Assist senior engineers and mentoring junior engineers as required;
- Provide excellent Client management to existing and potential clients;
- Collaborate with other disciplines within WSP with respect to multi-faceted/multi-disciplinary projects; and
- Other duties as assigned
- Degree or Diploma specializing in Environmental Science, Geosciences, Hydrogeology, Engineering or related discipline; a post-graduate degree or diploma in an environmental field will be considered an asset;
- 5+ years of experience as a consultant in the industry with prior experience with Environmental Site Assessment work;
- P.Eng or P.Geo designation in Ontario;
- Experience completing environmental monitoring or investigations;
- Knowledge and experience in field practices and site investigation and characterization techniques including environmental management principles and regulations in Ontario;
- Strong organization skills and ability to schedule multiple tasks at various stages of projects, including field work and reporting;
- Attention to detail, including documentation;
- Self-motivated and independent worker who is able to work in a team environment and take initiative in field work in a more autonomous setting while demonstrating the ability to advance in their career;
- Logical thinking ability and the initiative to apply knowledge and suggest practical solutions to field challenges;
- Valid Class "G" Driver's License with a clean driver's abstract and access to a reliable vehicle; travel is a requirement of this position;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and is flexible to work on a wide variety of projects, tasks and assignments, responding easily to changing priorities;
- Excellent English (verbal /written) communication skills;
- French communication skills will be considered an asset;
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills and have the ability to communicate effectively and to proactively respond to time-sensitive issues; and
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office products;
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for those taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only those selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.