Mechanical Construction Inspector
WSP in Toronto, ON
WSP is one of the world's leading professional engineering services firms. Every day our more than 48,000 experts work to restore the natural environment and transform the built environment.
In Canada, our 8,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects.
At WSP , we're proud, professional and passionate people, join our team.
WSP is currently seeking a Mechanical Construction Inspector to join our Rail & Transit department, located at our Toronto project office. Reporting to the Construction Site Manager this position will be responsible for the inspection, examination, on-site work acceptance and preparation of reports for work progress on assigned construction contracts for a transit project. As the authorized representative of the CSM, you will ensure that construction work is performed in accordance with the contract plans and specifications, as well as with applicable codes and safety regulations.
- Understand and interpret the requirements and details of the contract drawings and specifications;
- Understand the contractor's obligations and the client's responsibilities under the contract;
- Inspect the work according to the required established frequency; examine (measuring, testing) the work to the detail required to ensure contract compliance;
- Identify and act on any site, contractual and regulatory infractions (for safety, security, operational efficiency, customer convenience, etc.);
- Assist with the administration of the construction contracts; monitoring the constructed product for quality assurance;
- Act as a liaison between the contractor, internal staff, utility companies, local municipalities, etc. as required;
- Certain assignments may require that you work outside of normal work hours;
- Other duties as assigned/required.
- Completion of a (3 year) community college program in the mechanical engineering technology discipline, or through the possession of a Certificate of Qualification in a skilled construction trade, or the equivalent;
- O.A.C.E.T.T. certification as an Engineering Technologist would be an asset;
- Several years of directly related experience in the inspection of large, multi-discipline and/or heavy construction capital projects;
- Must have sound knowledge of construction inspection and management principles, practices and techniques, as well as knowledge of construction products, materials and equipment;
- Requires specialist expertise in the mechanical discipline;
- Must have comprehensive knowledge of the Occupational Health & Safety Act, and regulations for construction projects, as well as the Commission's safety policies and procedures applicable to the construction contract.
- Must have or rapidly acquire a comprehensive knowledge of the Ontario Human Rights Code and Related Orders including disability accommodation and accessibility requirements pertaining to passengers and employees.
- Must possess sound judgement; strong organizational, administrative, observational and problem solving skills; effective interpersonal, and oral and written communication skills;
- Requires experience in support of excavation (SOE) and/or heavy underground construction.
WSP Canada Inc.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.