Building Sciences - Student
WSP in Ottawa, ON
Building Sciences - Student
Department Buildings - Building Sciences
ID # 11175
Job Type Student
WSP is one of the world's leading professional engineering services firms. Every day our more than 42,000 experts work to restore the natural environment and transform the built environment.
In Canada, our 8000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transport networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects .
At WSP , we're proud, professional and passionate people. Join us.
WSP is currently seeking a Building Sciences Coop Student to join our Buildings group, located in our Queensview Drive office for a 4 month internship. Reporting to the Senior Manager, Building Sciences this position will be responsible for conducting site reviews and assisting our Junior and Intermediate Engineers on projects.
- Apply engineering knowledge to tasks on building science & audit projects
- Assist engineers with building evaluations & site reports
- Conduct construction and site reviews, monitoring quality of building repairs
- Liaise with contractors, sub-consultants and engineering disciplines
- Contribute to the contract administration process on projects
- Accept responsibility for project tasks, deliverables and outcomes
- Apply sustainable thinking and practices within project delivery
- Contribute to the knowledge systems within the building science practice
- Other duties as assigned/required.
- Completed 2nd, 3rd or 4th year (final work term) of a Bachelor's degree in Civil/Structural Engineering, Building Science, Architectural Science or Applied Science
- Minimum B average and involvement in volunteer or industry associations
- Demonstrates a passion in building sciences and construction
- Previous co-op / summer work experience in the construction or engineering industry is ideal
- Excellent communicator
- A team player, amongst energetic, successful people
- Strong at multi-tasking, organized and adaptable to shifting priorities
- Personal commitment to promoting green issues or sustainability
- Valid driver's license. Access to a vehicle is an asset
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for those taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only those selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.