Senior Advisor, Business Development Calgary, AB 04/06/2019
WSP in Calgary, AB
WSP is one of the world's leading professional services firms. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
We have over 48,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 8,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're among the LinkedIn Top 25 Companies two years in a row, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects .
At WSP :
- We value our people and our reputation
- We are locally dedicated with international scale
- We are future focused and challenge the status quo
- We foster collaboration in everything we do
- We have an empowering culture and hold ourselves accountable
WSP is currently seeking a Senior Advisor, Business Development to join our Business Development group within Energy Resources & Industry (ERI), located at our Calgary office. Reporting to the VP, Strategic Business Development, this position will be responsible for for increasing the business' market position within existing service lines and applying the company's expertise in new business areas. Combining and leveraging services available from other business units in ERI to increase the company's exposure and business volume from customers is of prime importance.
- Must ensure that the BD group maintains current market knowledge as it pertains to all sectors within ERI as well as developing relationships with both new and existing clients
- Must maximize efficient contact with Engineering and Projects groups to ensure that personnel and service requirements for proposed work are known and understood
- Estimates of cost, scope and schedule of the work to be completed are the responsibility of the BD manager, with input from the business unit team as required to ensure that estimates are accurate and timely
- Track customer relations, proposal activity, industry activity, and report the same back to the National VP, Directors and other involved parties
- Provide direction for junior BD engineers and administration staff to ensure timely and efficient delivery of estimates, schedules, service descriptions, finished proposals, presentations, and other BD documents
- Work with marketing group to develop sales and marketing information for potential customers and other WSP business units when there is an opportunity to put together joint proposals
- Develop and improve tools for estimating, using WSP historical cost data, and general business activity
- Oversight of the proposals and other BD documents
- Complete regular status reports on both financial and schedule
- Lead periodic formal and informal project communication to establish understanding and receive feedback
- Develop controls to ensure that Client and Corporate procedures are being adhered to; active in continuous improvement
- Ensure comprehensive knowledge of the local and national market and the clients within the National Business Line
- Define key stakeholders in client organizations and build understanding of their strategic objectives
- Manage client expectations and coach others in effective negotiation
- Mentor and coach junior subordinates; identify and seek out mentoring opportunities
- Develop and maintain cross functional internal relationships
- Provide task related direction to juniors subordinates; checking work where necessary
- Development of succession plans and participation in HIPO assessment and performance review process
- Provide performance related feedback in an objective manner; identify opportunities for growth and work with HR in development of career path planning
- Customer and market research and development of target Clients
- Budgeting and forecasting of hard and soft backlog
- Completed formal training in project management; PMP certification (or equivalent) given preference
- Post-secondary with advanced degree in applicable field or equivalent short courses / experience
- 15 years of proven project management experience with projects in the $100 - $500M range
- 10-15 years of previous experience in an EP/EPC/EPCM environment in the domestic oil and gas industry is an asset.
- 7+ years relevant Project Management or Client relations experience
MEASURES OF SUCCESS
- Increase in number of meetings with clients, RFP's and with rates throughout ERI business line
- Demonstrated positive relationships with project teams (Directors/PM's)
- Assist in the definition of and ensure adherence with the defined Corporate and National Business Line objectives. Brief and assist subordinates with understanding
- Meeting targets and deadlines for proposals
- Achievement of individual and group business objectives with respect to new business, repeat business, and
- Lead by example and promote a positive environment rooted in communication, ownership and camaraderie
- Build and maintain WSP 's brand/reputation both internally and externally
- Define and steward the commitment and compliance to both Corporate and National Business Line health and safety guidelines
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.