Environmental Scientist - Intermediate
WSP in Regina , SK
WSP is one of the world's leading professional engineering services firms. Every day our more than 48,000 experts work to restore the natural environment and transform the built environment.
In Canada, our 8,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects.
At WSP , we're proud, professional and passionate people, join our team.
WSP is looking for a motivated Intermediate Project Technician/Scientist to work with the Environmental Management Team supporting ongoing and new environmental monitoring and contaminated land assessment projects. The position is to be staffed in Regina, with work locations throughout Western Canada and will include a large field component 80% field / 20% office).
The successful candidate will work on a wide-variety of environmental projects focused on contaminated land management. Key responsibilities will include working with project leads to support our compliance monitoring programs and Phase I and II Environmental Sites Assessment projects. Ideally our candidate enjoys data collection, working outdoors, working in a team environment, and is highly organized and has a background in representative soil, water and groundwater sample collection, data analysis and results reporting. This is a key assignment for the right individual, to provide support and growth of our Environmental Management Team in Saskatchewan.
This position is important to the success of our firm and requires a commitment to promote our values, as well as achieving technical goals.
- Assist project managers/leads with the development and execution of site-specific assessment, remediation and reclamation projects in various regions of western Canada
- Collection and field screening of soil, water, and groundwater samples
- Execution of Phased Environmental Site Assessments under the direction of Senior Technical Leads
- Spill response
- Liaise with laboratories, contractors, and other service providers as required
- Supervision of subcontractors
- Participation in, and compliance with company Health and Safety programs and policies
- Safe and efficient operation of tools and machinery necessary to complete field tasks
- Work with other team members to effectively complete assigned tasks
- Technical Diploma or University degree in environmental sciences, geology, hydrogeology or engineering
- 6+ years of cumulative environmental consulting experience
- Experience in collecting soil, water and groundwater samples
- Experience conducting Phased Environmental Site Assessments
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Office & Outlook
- An enthusiastic attitude and team spirit
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines within a team environment
- The desire to succeed in a dynamic, progressive organization
- Must possess a valid Class 5 driver's license; Drivers abstract screening will be required by the successful candidate(s)
- Enjoy working outdoors, be physically fit; able to safely lift 50+ pounds at a time; and able to work long hours
- Must be able to work out of town for extended periods (typically one week or more at a time following Saskatchewan Labour Laws and issued WSP Labour permits)
Additional Experience Considered as Asset
- Surfer®, gINT® software program knowledge and experience
- Up to date safety training in Standard First Aid - CPR Level C, H2S Alive, and Ground Disturbance Level II
- Demonstrable experience with driving 4X4's trucks, all-terrain vehicles and watercraft or associated training certificates
- Registered with a recognized professional organization in Saskatchewan
WSP Canada Inc.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.