WSP in Edmonton, AB
WSP is one of the world's leading professional engineering services firms. Every day our more than 48,000 experts work to restore the natural environment and transform the built environment.
In Canada, our 8,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects.
At WSP , we're proud, professional and passionate people, join our team.
WSP is currently seeking a Project Scientist - Intermediate Ecologist with soils experience to join our Ecology and Environmental Impact Assessment Team in Edmonton. Reporting to the Team Lead, the successful candidate will be provided the opportunity to work on challenging and diverse projects across Alberta with a wide range of complexity.
- Conduct pre- and post-development field assessments and prepare reports for transportation, municipal infrastructure, renewable energy, and oil and gas projects
- Identification of potential environmental issues in relation to proposed developments (e.g. soils, wetlands and vegetation)
- Preparation or providing support in the preparation of erosion sedimentation control (ESC) plans
- Provide environmental construction monitoring for a variety of projects
- Analyze, evaluate and interpret data while providing results within the scope and objective(s) of the specific project
- Interact with clients, staff and regulatory agencies
- Implement corporate and client safety programs
- Degree in Biology, Ecology, Soil Science, or related field with a strong background in soils
- 5+ years of experience working in a consulting firm in an Ecologist role or equivalent
- Experience conducting soil surveys is a requirement
- Wetland classification/delineation experience under the Alberta Wetland Policy would be an asset
- Designation as a qualified wetland science practitioner (QWSP) or an interest in working toward the designation would be an asset
- Designation as a Certified Professional in Erosion and Sediment Control (CPESC) or an interest in working toward the designation would be an asset
- Experience working on transportation or linear projects is an asset
- Registration (or eligible) with a professional association (e.g. P.Biol, P.Ag. R.T.Biol.) within Alberta is an asset
- Demonstrated written and communication skills are a requirement
- A valid Alberta driver's license (min Class 5 with GDL removed)
- The desire to succeed in a dynamic, progressive organization
- Located in Edmonton preferred, but will consider other locations
WSP Canada Inc.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.