Senior Engineer - Electrical North Vancouver, BC 31/05/2019
WSP in North Vancouver, BC
WSP is one of the world's leading professional services firms. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
We have over 48,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 8,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're among the LinkedIn Top 25 Companies two years in a row, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects .
At WSP :
- We value our people and our reputation
- We are locally dedicated with international scale
- We are future focused and challenge the status quo
- We foster collaboration in everything we do
- We have an empowering culture and hold ourselves accountable
WSP is currently seeking a Senior Engineer - Electrical, to expand our team in North Vancouver, British Columbia office. Reporting to the Manager SCADA & Electrical, Infrastructure, the successful candidate will be responsible to expand our service offerings and assist in complete designs for a variety of engineering disciplines, manage projects and oversee construction.
Are you looking for an opportunity where you can bring creative solutions to important projects as part of a friendly and vibrant team, work in an office with the most beautiful views of the Burrard Inlet and North Shore Mountains and not have to fight the crazy downtown traffic each morning as you trek into the office? Then we want to hear from you! Our WSP work culture offers work-life balance, a work hard-have fun motto, and an environment where employees are considered members of our family. Throughout the year we host multiple events for our employees and their families, from outdoor recreation activities like snowboarding, skiing, mountain biking and cycling. Let us help you take your work experience placement to a new level with professional challenges and opportunity for growth in a wonderful atmosphere.
- Provide technical advisory services to clients for specific projects in respect to electrical engineering;
- Prepare analyses, designs, drawings, specifications, cost estimates, presentations, and reports as required;
- Develop and strengthen existing skills and deliver engineering projects in accordance with client requirements and in line with company and industry best practice;
- Ensure that solutions offered and delivered reflect the needs of private sector, municipal, provincial, and federal clients as the case may be;
- Undertake internal technical reviews and verification checks on analysis, reports, designs and associated advice;
- Expand our service offerings in key areas. Secure electrical engineering assignments;
- Carry out project management, contract administration and field reviews for project under construction;
- Mentor junior staff;
- Act as Project Manager to deliver projects, taking ownership and responsibility for project outcomes;
- Ensure that projects meet quality assurance requirements and the needs of WSP way;
- Ensure timely regular and clear reporting of project status to clients and your line manager, and that critical project records and documentation is kept;
- Provide clear communication to project personnel including clearly assigned task briefs;
- Carefully manage project risk and clearly understand and work with line manager to determine where specific risks are best owned;
- Monitor project finances and work with your line manager to adjust project activities and methodologies as required to achieve expected profitability targets;
- Reflect on project learnings and experience to improve and promote lessons learnt to the other office staff;
- Assist with and prepare fee estimates, quotations and offers of service to clients, and assist with the preparation of expressions of interest and bids as required;
- Maintain client service through project delivery, strong communication with clients, and acting on client feedback;
- Proactively identify and as appropriate secure business opportunities with new and/or existing clients;
- Build effective networks and working relationships with key stakeholders and especially clients, current and future; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Electrical Engineering Degree from an accredited institution;
- Minimum of 15 years professional experience registered as a P.Eng in electrical engineering;
- Professional Engineer or eligibility for registration in EGBC is required;
- Thorough understanding and knowledge of the Canadian Electrical Code;
- Excellent knowledge and experience designing and implementing process control, instrumentation and PLC control systems;
- Strong understanding of the electrical engineering consulting environment, and detailed design drawings, tender package specifications, feasibility studies, budget estimates, shop drawing reviews, commissioning, and condition assessments;
- Proficiency with Low Voltage power system distribution, generation, and motor control system design;
- Excellent understanding and experience with 69kv and below substation, switchgear, and power distribution design;
- Proficient to undertake power system short circuit, coordination, power flow, and arc flash analysis and calculations, as well as harmonic analysis. Working knowledge with EasyPower software is an asset;
- Ability to work under pressure in demanding environments;
- Experience managing electrical and controls projects;
- Experience with procurement and construction contracts;
- Good analytical skills and attention to detail; and
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.
North Vancouver, BC