Above Water Sensors Integration Specialist – Radar and Illuminator
Irving Shipbuilding in Halifax, NS
ABOVE WATER SENSORS INTEGRATION SPECIALIST - RADAR AND ILLUMINATOR
Irving Shipbuilding Inc., located at 3099 Barrington Street Halifax NS B3K 5M7, is part of the J.D. Irving Group of companies and is in the business of building quality ships and repairing vessels. The company's primary site is Halifax Shipyard, with three other locations in the Maritime Provinces. Irving Shipbuilding is currently working on a number of significant projects for the Department of National Defence.
The Above Water Sensors Integration Specialist - Radar and Illuminator will fulfill a key role in the Above Water Warfare (AWW) Sensors and Weapons Team. This position will be responsible for providing technical expertise to support the design, integration, installation, test and evaluation of all CSC Radar and Illuminator systems, and their associated radiation safety infrastructure. This will include, but is not limited to those radar sensors that are operationally employed for surveillance, detection, and tracking and in the Anti-Air Warfare and Anti-Surface Warfare areas, and for anti-air missile control. Additionally, this position will ensure that fully compliant solutions are provided in accordance with governing requirements, certification standards, and sound engineering practice.
To fulfill this role the AW Sensors Integration Specialist - Radar and Illuminator will provide demonstrated knowledge and experience in the above areas, with an ability to effectively discuss these areas with RCN operational staff, engineering staff, and the Combat System Integrator. This position will participate in the CSC Working Group structure, in partnership with the Warship Design and Combat Systems Integration Sub-Contractors to ensure that compliant solutions are delivered to the Royal Canadian Navy (RCN).
This is a permanent full-time staff role based in Halifax, NS.
- Assisting the Senior AW Sensors Engineer with:
- participating in the Above Water Sensors Working Group, and generally participate in the CSC Working Group structure to coordinate and manage all Radar and Illuminator system stakeholder interests;
- providing technical expertise during requirements definition, design, integration, and test activities to ensure that fully compliant and certified Radar and Illuminator system solutions are provided in accordance with requirements, governing standards, and sound engineering practice;
- ensuring that the physical and functional interfaces of all Radar and Illuminator systems are identified, defined and approved via Interface Control Documents;
- providing technical expertise in the development, documentation, and evaluation of deliverables related to the requirements definition, design, integration, and test of all Radar and Illuminator systems;
- providing support in evaluating engineering change to ensure that impacts, risks, and issues related to Radar and Illuminator design, integration, test, and acceptance activities are understood and recorded;
- liaising with the CSI and OEM to extent of contractual and IP boundaries to transfer as much knowledge of Radar and Illuminator systems to ISI as possible;
- liaising with both RCN and Sub-contractor modelling and simulation teams regarding Radar and Illuminator system performance evaluation;
- supporting the development of plans, procedures, and processes in support of Radar and Illuminator related program requirements;
- supporting the coordination of scheduling, planning, and conduct of Radar and Illuminator activities to ensure that related program milestones are met;
- providing accurate status reports on assigned activities to the AWW Sensors and Weapons Team Lead;
- Fulfilling the above roles by:
- providing knowledge and insight into the operational employment of Radar and Illuminator and their roles in the Detect to Engage Sequence to ensure valid solutions for the Royal Canadian Navy;
- providing technical expertise regarding Radar and Illuminator system architecture and function in an integrated combat system;
- providing technical expertise in Radar and Illuminator hazards, and associated safety processes;
- providing technical expertise in electromagnetic interference and associated mitigation processes with AW sensors;
- providing field engineering support during CSC production, and its test and evaluation;
- establishing and maintaining strong working relationships with internal (Shipyard Production, CSC Program personnel) and external stakeholders (subcontractors and Canadian government staff).;
- supporting a culture of teamwork, pro-activeness, and enthusiasm within the Combat System team, and be a role model for professional behavior.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Post-Secondary education in an engineering discipline (Electronics, Electrical preferred).
- System qualifications on Naval Radar and Illuminator systems.
- A minimum of five years' experience in the following fields:
- Engineering in large and complex defense acquisition projects involving coordination between multiple organizations;
- Extensive involvement in the design, integration, installation and test of complex integrated military sensor systems;
- Understanding the operational employment of integrated sensor systems; and
- Excellent time management, and written and oral communication skills.
- Experience working in design, integration, installation and test of naval above water warfare systems within warship construction programs.
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
What We Offer:
- Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to medical, dental, and vision
For further details, please contact Erin Sloan @ firstname.lastname@example.org
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.