Associate, Leveraged Finance
CIBC in Toronto, ON
We're on a mission to build the relationship-focused bank of the future and we're looking for the passionate collaborators, innovators, advisors, and leaders who can get us there. Our distinct culture is built on a shared commitment to do what's right for our clients, our people, and our communities, and we strive for excellence in everything we do. Because life at CIBC is not only what you do, but how you do it.
To learn more about CIBC, please visit CIBC.com
What You'll Be Doing
You will interact with commercial customers to sell specialized leveraged finance products such as mezzanine financing, leveraged buy-outs, acquisition financing and other structured financings. As the Associate, Leveraged Finance you will partner with other Leveraged Finance team members, Relationship Managers Clients and independently prepare and assist in presentations of financing proposals to client, and assist with appropriate documentation for accepted credit proposals, negotiations and closings.
How You'll Succeed
CIBC Leveraged Finance consists of a team of professionals and support staff with expertise in senior and subordinated cash-flow lending to Canadian middle-market businesses. Established in 2006, the team has a three-pronged mandate: i) providing national coverage of private equity sponsors; ii) concluding highly-structured, event-based transactions, and iii) delivering mezzanine debt solutions to our clients nationally. Our objective is to be the best in the leveraged finance industry. Our focus is on providing our clients creative financing solutions, value-added ideas and industry leading quality service, by delivering the full suite of CIBC's product offerings to clients.
- Client First- You will attend discussions with client management (executive, financial and operational) in order to assess client's financing needs. Perform comprehensive financial/non-financial analysis and risk assessment of credit proposals. Assist in preparation of financing proposals (structuring terms and conditions including security, covenants and pricing) to properly reflect and compensate CIBC for assessed risk. Prepare draft recommendations on credit submissions and investment proposals to present to senior management. Assist with comprehensive due diligence on all transactions.
- Relationship Building - Develop good relations with internal customers, external customers and general industry contacts to generate new referrals and business opportunities and to maintain a window on the market.
- Collaboration - Partner with your team to connect clients with opportunities. Monitor and supervise a portfolio of senior and subordinated debt accounts. Manage relationships with borrowers and Relationship Managers. Monitor account performance and industry trends. Maintain a proactive approach to continuous risk assessment and report observations. Assist in negotiation of terms and conditions of proposals.
Business acumen. You have working knowledge of specialized leveraged finance products (i.e., structured/acquisition financings, project financings, loan syndication) and other CIBC group core products and services. Knowledge of leveraged finance (i.e., capital structures, capital markets, public and private debt and equity markets). Knowledge of business, legal, tax, banking and regulatory framework affecting financial requirements of customers. You are able tostructure and package leveraged finance products (i.e. structuring financing options, security evaluation and documentation, establishing terms and conditions, pricing). You have above average written and verbal communication skills to present financial information to clients.
Who You Are .
- You have a diploma/degree in. You have your BBA or MBA. Other financial designations considered an asset (i.e. CA, CBV, CMA, CFA etc.).
- You can demonstrate experience in. You have 2 years of professional experience in a commercial credit and/or equity investment environment. Excellent financial modeling and accounting skills. You understand lending policies, procedures and practices, asset-security valuation, loan interviewing, loan assessment, industry and competitive analysis and investigation.
- Values matter to you. You bring your real self to work and you live our values - trust, teamwork and accountability
What CIBC Offers
At CIBC, our people are our greatest asset. You'll become part of a diverse community that acknowledges everyone's unique talents, and empowers teams to do what's right for the client, and to do it well. As part of our team, you will:
- Thrive: Benefit from an open and approachable culture that provides the flexibility and support you need to integrate your life at work and at home
- Connect : Work in a place where the right technology and infrastructure fosters innovation, collaboration and creativity
- Develop: Grow your skills and career through our best-in-class onboarding experience, ongoing learning opportunities, individual development planning, and comprehensive product training
- Prosper: Share in our collective success with a competitive salary, incentive pay, banking benefits, health benefits program, and employee share purchase plan
What You Need to Know
- CIBC is committed to creating an inclusive environment where all team members and clients feel like they belong. We seek applicants with a wide range of abilities and we provide an accessible candidate experience. If you need accommodation during the application or interview process, please contact Mailbox.firstname.lastname@example.org
- You need to be legally eligible to work in Canada at the location(s) specified above and, where applicable, must have a valid work or study permit
- This is a regular full time role. You may have to work flexible hours to meet client and team requirements.