National Director, Sustainability Advisory
WSP in Toronto, ON
WSP is one of the world's leading professional engineering services firms. Every day our more than 48,000 experts work to restore the natural environment and transform the built environment.
In Canada, our 8,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects.
At WSP , we're proud, professional and passionate people, join our team.
TORONTO or VANCOUVER
WSP is currently seeking a National Director to join our Sustainability & Energy team, based out of either our Toronto or Vancouver locations.
WSP's Sustainability & Energy team are widely recognized as pioneers in the Sustainability & Energy market. You will be joining an incredible 'think-tank', consisting of extremely bright, innovative, solution-driven professionals.
This is a senior executive role reporting to the National Vice President of Sustainability & Energy, responsible for overseeing the Sustainability Advisory book of work across Canada. This includes managing an expert team of sustainability professionals and bringing in new work and actively maintaining client relationships.
This person will ensure that project deliverables meet our standards for technical quality, and that they meet or exceed client expectations. This outgoing, positive individual will interact with leaders form across sectors and will represent our new strategic plan at conferences, events, client meetings and more. He/She will also work closely with senior executives across the company to offer sustainability solutions and represent the interests of our global "Future Ready" Campaign.
We expect our Advisory Services team to grow to meet market demand over the coming years. The ideal candidate will have the proven experience needed to manage operations, project consulting, and business development, and will be accountable for budgets and staff management. S/he will have sound knowledge and proven experience in a sustainability related field and represent WSP Canada as a thought leader in the marketplace.
The ideal candidate will have sound knowledge and proven experience with business and organizational sustainability strategy, program and disclosure best practices (such as CDP, GRI Standards, GRESB, GHG Protocol, ISO 14064, etc.).
- Delivery of best in class sustainability strategy, program design, goal setting, benchmarking, reporting and disclosure services
- Facilitate the development of sustainability benchmarking, reporting and disclosure reports (CDP, GRESB, GRI Standards)
- Manage the delivery of quantitative and qualitative analyses using existing frameworks and innovative approaches for sustainability projects (e.g. carbon, energy, water, waste quantification; industry best practices and trends research);
- Provide technical support and guidance on organizational sustainability related concepts, strategies, and implementation, such as GHG Protocol and ISO 14064-aligned GHG inventories, GRESB Real Estate and Infrastructure assessments, materiality assessments and annual sustainability reports prepared in accordance with Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) Standards, low-carbon portfolio strategies, sustainability performance targets, science-based carbon targets (SBTs), etc.;
- Identify and evaluate opportunities for energy, GHG, and resource reductions;
- Research leading sustainability and energy programs and initiatives;
- Design sustainability and energy performance targets and accompanying strategies and achievement plans;
- Manage business development activities with existing and prospective clients;
- Lead proposal development and various client management activities;
- Contribute to the knowledge and professional development of employees in the group, providing mentorship as required;
- Interact with client staff, client principals, third-party consultants and industry representatives;
- Other duties as assigned/required.
- University degree in a related discipline; management, sustainability, engineering, energy, or environmental discipline preferred;
- 7+ years of relevant work experience, consulting experience preferred;
- Proven experience addressing sustainability issues and working with climate change frameworks.
- Proven experience with sustainability issues and frameworks such as CDP, GRI, GRESB, DJSI and the GHG Protocol;
- Familiarity with carbon neutrality strategies and renewable energy purchasing, specifically REC and offsets;
- Experience in managing a business unit or functional team preferred, where responsibilities included monitoring the financial health of that business unit and bringing in new work;
- Demonstrated ability to lead/work successfully with small project teams and to maintain client relationships;
- Demonstrated experience in managing projects, clients, service delivery, timelines and budgets;
- Experience in fee pricing and proposal writing of sustainability advisory services;
- Ability to develop and present analyses using programs, including Microsoft Excel
- Ability to collaborate remotely across geographies and platforms;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written;
- Exceptional problem solving, time management and decision-making skills;
- Self-directed and self-motivated with the ability to succeed in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment;
- Desire to learn continuously, work more effectively, and enhance technical and professional skills;
- Ability and desire to mentor and teach other team members;
- Punctual, reliable, detail oriented, task oriented, and organized.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.