Occupational Health Nurse - Full Time
Shannex Incorporated is a leading and innovative provider of Continuing Care accommodations and services in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Ontario. Shannex is an expanding organization that currently employs over 3,800 people. We are on an exciting path of continued growth that will offer outstanding living choices, improved services and exceptional careers. We are pleased to offer the following exciting new opportunity:
Occupational Health Nurse - Full Time
Located in New Brunswick and reporting to the Health and Wellness Manager, the Occupational Health Nurse (OHN) is responsible for the coordination of employee work related illnesses or injuries, identifying employee safety and health needs through observation, interactions, medical examination and/or documentation, and analysis of records and trends. The successful candidate is self motivated and demonstrates excellent time management, interpersonal and communication skills. The home office location will be based on the successful incubents location (Miramichi, Fredericton, Moncton, Saint John, Quispamsis, and/or Riverview).
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Providing initial injury/illness intake, assessment, and follow up.
- Providing initial contact with injured/ill worker, employer, provider and other appropriate stakeholders
- Acting as the point of contact for Worksafe NB and physiotherapy clinics
- Liaising between other healthcare providers and gather appropriate objective medical information upon an accommodation request.
- Obtaining history of present injury, and triage to most appropriate level of care including third party health care providers if appropriate.
- Evaluating injuries against current job functions, determines mechanism of injury, and takes related medical history and develop a modified duty plan as needed.
- Providing guidance regarding self-care or first aid
- Analyzing work environments to identify health and ergonomic hazards
- Interacting with Human Resources, Health and Safety staff, local medical providers and other designated personnel for proper initiation and follow-up of possible work-related injuries and illnesses
- Serving as an advocate for the injured/ill worker during the recovery process; provides support, information, and education to improve the employee's knowledge about their health and self-care, and enhances their understanding of the health care treatment plan and process with the goal of safe return to work
- Providing Health Education and Counselling as needed and referral to EFAP when appropriate
- Developing, administering and evaluating wellness programs within a team environment
- Developing and maintaining complete, accurate and confidential employee health records
Education and Experience
- Bachelor of Nursing or Bachelor of Science in Nursing; current registration with the Nurses Association of New Brunswick.
- Occupational Health Nurse designation
- Minimum five years' experience in the OHN field providing a broad range of services, preferably in a large, complex unionized environment;
- Current First Aid/CPR certification
- Knowledge of provincial Human Rights legislation, workers compensation board regulations, provisions of collective agreements and various labour organizations in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Ontario.
Further requirements include:
- A valid driver's license is required as the OHN will be expected to travel to different locations within the region on a regular basis.
- The OHN will have a rotating schedule and will be travelling to Miramichi, Fredericton, Moncton, Saint John, Quispamsis, and Riverview equally throughout the month requiring time in hotels.
- Strong computer literacy required.
“Great People Striving for Great Things” is one of the pillars of our Strategic Plan. Shannex is committed to offering the best environment for employees where everyone takes pride in their work and in the organization. Our staff are committed to service excellence and are supported with opportunities for personal and professional growth. We are building a culture that supports the balance between work and personal life.
We offer a comprehensive compensation package, on –site parking, and flexible scheduling.
If you are looking for an opportunity to grow your career and make your mark in a rapidly growing organization please apply at by January 24th, 2019
All applicants will be kept in strict confidence.
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.