Senior Policy Advisor
Environment and Local Government
Senior Policy Advisor
Pay Band 6
The Department of Environment and Local Government is seeking an individual to join the Policy Branch as a Senior Policy Advisor working in Fredericton.
As a member of the policy team, reporting to the Director of policy, the successful candidate will lead policy initiatives including the development and/or amendment of legislation to support the Department's mandate and government commitments.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Developing sound public policy, either as stand-alone or as articulated law
- Formulating new concepts in legislation
- Identifying and interpreting legal abstracts and constitutional considerations
- Conducting senior level research, analysis, and cross-jurisdictional reviews
- Conducting inter-departmental/jurisdictional and stakeholder consultation
- Leading Ministerial and Deputy Ministerial briefings
- Presenting proposals to various levels of government up to, and including, Legislature
- Quality control and quality assurance of proposed legislation, regulations, and policies
- Leading, or representing the Department on, working groups respecting policy development
- Liaising with the Auditor General's Office
A Bachelor's degree in Public Administration, Environmental Studies, Social Sciences, Community Planning, or a related field and a minimum of six (6) years of related work experience, including direct policy development experience.
A Law degree and a minimum of four (4) years of related experience, including direct policy development experience.
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
Written and spoken competence in English is required. Please state your language capability.
Applicants must clearly demonstrate the essential qualifications to be given further consideration. Please ensure that preferred language for assessment is identified on your resume.
BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES: The successful candidate will possess the following behavioural competencies:
- Strategic thinking;
- Organizational commitment;
- Results orientation;
- Relationship/network building;
- Effective interactive communication;
- Client service orientation.
TECHNICAL COMPETENCIES: The successful candidate will possess the following technical competencies:
- Written communication;
- Knowledge of applicable legislation and the Department's policies and procedures;
- Knowledge of policy development process;
- Consulting skills;
- Presentation skills.
Résumés should be in chronological order specifying education and employment in months and years including part-time and full-time employment.
Salary: $64,350 to $85,644 per annum.
We encourage applicants to apply on-line or by mail at the following address by December 18, 2018 indicating competition number: 80-18-013. This competition may be used to fill future vacancies at the same level.
Department of Environment and Local Government
P.O. Box 6000
Fredericton, NB E3B 5H1
We thank all those who apply however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
As per the Civil Service Act, candidates registered with the Equal Employment Opportunity Program and veterans, who demonstrate they are among the most qualified, shall be given preference at the time of appointment.
We promote a scent-reduced environment.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The New Brunswick Public Service: Improving the lives of New Brunswickers every day!