Economics Lead Advisory Services, Power
WSP in Montreal, QC
WSP is one of the world's leading professional engineering services firms. Every day our more than 48,000 experts work to restore the natural environment and transform the built environment.
In Canada, our 8,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects.
At WSP , we're proud, professional and passionate people, join our team.
MONTRÉAL OR TORONTO
This role will report to the Director Advisory Services, Power and is focused on providing project development, policy support, financial analysis, management consulting, economic analysis, risk analysis, and asset management services. WSP will be building these services across our Power sector. In this capacity, you will work with executive and senior management to improve performance and ensure the application of industry leading practices to help address tomorrow's power generation, infrastructure and delivery challenges today.
The Economics Lead will support the development of strategic advisory services for the Power and Energy marketplace in Canada. Based in our Toronto or Montreal offices, the key parts of the Advisory business include economics, planning, social market research, monitoring and evaluation. Advisory Services in Power has been identified as a key growth area, where the opportunity exists to significantly increase our market share and to attract higher than average margins. The team you will help build over time, will offer a wide range of advice based on an understanding of the fundamental economic drivers shaped by electricity market structures, new technologies, regulatory frameworks, government policies and market behavior.
- Leads business development efforts for Advisory Services by meeting with clients in the context of projects to be realized or the development of potential markets and ensures acceptable returns on the investments, aligned with the business line strategy and its backlog and sales targets;
- Support the project delivery team with the following expertise:
- Financial analysis and specific calculation of rate of return on investment in the power market
- Reviews of distribution, transmission and generation investments
- Economic impact studies
- Builds relationships with key clients, industry organizations, teaming partners, and stakeholders to identify teaming opportunities to grow the business. This includes; Owners, Financers, Contractors, Consultants and Operators;
- Effectively collaborates with peers nationally and in other geographies to leverage technical expertise, ensure client satisfaction and implement best practices while also developing future Advisory Services capabilities through effective strategic talent planning;
- Support the power team to deliver acceptable returns on the business development investments, aligned with the business line strategy and its backlog and sales targets;
- Provides guidance and direction to market sector leaders to ensure operational and project delivery excellence for Advisory Services assignments;
- Guides and directs leaders on measures to mitigate project performance issues and risks, ensuring successful delivery on the contractual commitments and financial targets for the project portfolio to meet client expectations and achieve or exceed profitability targets;
- Oversees the development and alignment of bid and project managers for Advisory Services projects, this includes ensuring consistency in training, sharing of lessons learned and mentorship;
- Visibly champions the WSP programs of safety, ethics & compliance to ensure they are an overriding part of the organizational culture; and
- Bachelor's degree in business, economics or other related stuidies. Master's degree (M. Eng., M. Sc.E., MBA) is considered a plus;
- 10 years of experience in Advisory Services development and execution;
- Experience in developing business with clients in the Advisory Services market, as well as experience in interfacing with municipal, provincial, and federal agencies;
- Leadership with reputation for uncompromising integrity;
- Good understanding of the power industry's commercial relationships;
- Highly professional with strong written and oral communication skills;
- Comfortable with matrix management models;
- Advanced people and leadership skills to effectively manage relationships in to achieve consensus, alignment and achievement of results;
- Open for up to 40% travel nationally and may require some International travel; and
- Bilingualism (English and French) an asset.
WSP Canada Inc.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.