Product Manager – Melting Alloys Segment (Nickel Business)
Who We Are
At Vale, we believe in innovation as a foundation for our development as we pursue our vision of becoming the leading natural resources company in the world.
Operating in Canada for more than 100 years, we are a leading producer of iron-ore, copper, cobalt and precious metals and the world's largest nickel mining company. We aim to grow profitably but only as a safe, high-quality and sustainable mining company.
Our Vale Base Metals Sales and Marketing Department is currently seeking a:
Product Manager - Melting/Alloys Segment (Nickel Business)
The Product Manager leads the development and execution of our global marketing strategy for the Melting/Alloys segment of the Nickel business. They will provide analysis, insights and recommendations to the business regarding product design, product mix, promotion and pricing policy based on their in-depth knowledge of our customers, products & applications. The Product Manager collaborates closely with the Sales Offices, Market Intelligence, refineries, Technology & Development and our customers to identify and realize new opportunities for optimizing our products and profitability within the Melting/Alloys segment. They will also develop and adapt Vale's product mix to solidify our leadership position in the global business pertaining to the Melting/Alloys segment.
This position is based in our Toronto Office.
- Collaborate with Sales Offices, Market Intelligence, Senior Management and other stakeholders to clearly define and maintain our marketing strategy, tactics, goals & metrics for the global Melting/Alloys segment
- Coordinate periodic strategy workshops with cross functional participation from Sales Offices, refineries, strategic planning, and Technology and Development
- Maintain an in-depth knowledge of the Melting/Alloys market, products and applications, customers and competitors as well as the manufacturing processes and operating costs
- Maintains an in-depth understanding of the value-in-use of our products compared with competing products and/or other substitution alternatives
- Supplies key inputs into the Pricing analysis process for the Melting/Alloys segment
- Maintains an awareness of existing and emerging competitive threats and issues timely reports to Sales Offices and Senior Management
- Responds to technical issues and inquiries from customers in an expedient and professional manner
- Work closely with Technology & Development team to maintain core technical capabilities at Vale for supporting product improvements, responding to technical service requests and for developing product data
- Advances the product and technical knowledge of the market sales force, distributors and agents
- Coordinates development and distribution of promotional literature including product data sheets and targeted advertising (where appropriate), and ensures that up-to-date product information is available on the Vale website & intranet
- Delivers seminars and technical presentations promoting the benefits of Vale products within the Melting/Alloys segment to customers and industry conferences and trade shows
- Partner with our Sales Managers to understand customers evolving product needs and identify opportunities to differentiate Vale products from our competitors
- Refine our product mix to reduce system complexity and simplify refinery operations and business processes and drive change where new opportunities for improvement have been identified
- Assess the value proposition of our products and looks for opportunities to maximize prices
- Promote knowledge sharing of commercial and technical information amongst Sales Offices
- Approve new products and/or changes to existing products in the Melting/Alloys product business (ie. technical specifications and/or product packaging specifications)
- Partner with Product Stewardship to ensure that up to date product specifications are maintained and are in compliance. Respond to unacceptable deviations in quality from customer specifications in collaboration with plant management.
- Undergraduate degree in Engineering, Metallurgical or Materials Engineering preferred
- MBA is an asset
- 10 or more years in a related position
- Operational experience with nickel alloy production and quality management, specifically VIM, VAR, ESR processes for superalloy production
- Experience with air melt processes, steel making and stainless steel industry is an asset
Knowledge and Skills:
- Expert understanding of nickel alloy design, applications, performance and quality requirements, specifically Inconel, Incoloy, Nimonic, Monel, Hastelloy etc
- Strong understanding of Sales and Marketing and Finance fundamentals
- Well organized and detailed oriented
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills (Excel, Work and PowerPoint) and SAP skills
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Strategic thinking and leadership
- Creative and innovative approach
To apply for a job, you will need to enter your user name and password to access your account. If you do not have an account, you are required to create a new account in order to apply. Your online account allows you to upload your resume, apply for jobs, and/or view the status of your applications.
Vale is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, Vale provides accommodation for applicants with disabilities in respect to its hiring process.